Rattle can repairs! Do I want a satin colour coat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Axstar, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I have a black '90s Squier body with some superficial damage. I picked up the body as I've not had good experiences with refinishing in the past as I tended to speed impatiently through the processes and try and cut out steps. I've painted guitar bodies with a brush before today...

For the Squier body, I intend to sand areas around the damage, with a view to getting down to the factory sealer coat, which hasn't been breached. I've experimented with drop-fills but I find I'm getting witness lines around the fills which are unsightly. I'm using nail varnishes and finding that, even with careful leveling, I'm getting discrete raised areas in the finish. I also seem to be sanding into the colour layer around the area I'm trying to drop-fill, creating an island/lake/mainland sort of effect.

In short, can I use a black satin-finish rattle can for restoring the colour? My thinking here is that the satin finish will be fairly uniform and provide a better key than, say, a gloss colour coat.

And does my workflow sound reasonable?

1) delicately sand area in question, and into a slightly wider area, revealing area of Squier factory sanding sealer.

2) Respray this area with black paint, but covering a slightly wider area than was sanded, so that the new paint blends into the surrounding factory black paint. Many thin coats!

3) Wait for black paint to gas off completely, if the satin is too glossy then introduce a key to the surface using (???) grit sandpaper. Maybe 400 or so?

4) Overspray the area with clear lacquer. Spray a wider area even than was covered in step 2, so that the factory clear coat, and my overspray, can be blended back together in stage 5.

5) Wait. And wait and wait. Level the lacquer with 600 grit (maybe finer), work through the grits and eventually polish out the area. Hope that the transition from factory lacquer to my overspray is imperceptible.

I'm not delusional enough to believe I will get a factory finish from messing around with aerosols, but I think I will fair better with re-spraying areas.

2. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Satin's OK, you can buff it to whatever gloss you prefer.

You're going to have difficulty blending blacks, easier to do a refin on the entire top, scuff sanding the parts of the finish that don't need work then shooting color and clear over the entire area. Lacquer may not adhere to original finish you don't scuff sand. It doesn't melt into it like it does lacquer. Your Squier is some sort of poly.

As soon as you buff satin it starts to reveal any flaws in the prep, just like gloss.

There's no free lunch unless you make it yourself.

Axstar likes this.

3. +1 on that. If you're going to bother, might as well just paint the whole thing.

Dadagoboi and Axstar like this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I really don't want to have to do a full refin, but if it is what it needs then so be it!

@Dadagoboi, to clarify, you mean that Poly doesn't melt into other poly, unlike nitro which will? The Squier is definitely poly, as it has a bit of the 'smashed candy apple' effect on the go. It is definitely the factory finish, and apparently this bass was some kid's daily driver since 1998 or so.

5. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Nitro (and acrylic) lacquer 'melts' into only other lacquers. They usually can be applied over sanded cured polys. Once poly is cured it's impervious to solvents, both lacquer thinner and poly reducer. So, neither poly or nitro melts into poly, but it's no problem refinishing poly with either.

Axstar likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021