1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rattle coming from Epifani UL410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theophilus762, Oct 12, 2009.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Love my UL410's (both are series 1, 4ohm), but on one of them the top right driver rattles the slightest bit. The rattle is especially pronounced when I play lower notes, like the open B or E string. At loud volumes its unnoticeable and I don't think it's a blown driver or anything, but when playing at bedroom practice volumes, it's definitely audible.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I took the grill off and took the driver out, and there was nothing loose or anything. I'm thinking it could be an internal component thats loose or broken, but is it something that I could open up and see for myself, or do I need to send it in?

Thanks!:cool:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had a couple speakers throw a voice coil wire inside and they rattled. They had to cut the dustcap off and re-solder it and put a new dustcap on. Don't know if that's your problem, but it's not serviceable by you. Just make sure it's that speaker. Swap it around with another one and see if the rattle follows it. Rattles are funny things and they can play tricks on you. But if it moves when you move it, then you can be sure it's the speaker.

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Unfortunately, it could also be something wrong with one (or more) of your drivers. I had this problem with my UL410 as well. It started out sounding like something was loose, but gradually got worse until the speaker actually buzzed when played (like you on lower register notes). Had a very qualified, trustworthy tech help me diagnose the problem and his sense was defective speakers (I unfortunately had three of them!). I won't go through the whole sob story other than to say that I have one VERY expensive UL410 in my practice space only because I can't drop the coin to go back to Bergantino at the moment and a very pronounced dislike for Epifani customer service...

4. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I'm pretty sure its just one driver. I played my b string while putting my ear closely to each driver, and they were all clear except that top right one. I'm gonna see what Epifani has to say, and if they tell me to buy a replacement, I'm gonna see if its something my local tech can diagnose and fix.

5. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    i took apart the grill again, and tried the "pressing of the speaker" technique.

sure enough, it sounds like a voice coil problem. none of the speakers make any noise when i gently press down on the cone. however, the problematic speaker makes a slight "grinding" noise when i press down on it.

can this only be fixed with a recone?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's the only way to fix a shot voice coil.

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I had to send back an EBS 410 once because it had an audible rattle. Turns out it wasn't the drivers or components... a small section or 'flap' of plywood had delaminated on the sidewall of the cab, just behind the dado for the baffle.

I would have fixed it myself, but who's to say that cab wasn't made from a bunk batch of ply? Anyhow, I exercised my warranty rights and got a new one. :) problem solved.

Be sure to check everything, and get some one else to play your bass for you while you seek and destroy the culprit. :ninja:

pat.

8. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

oops! i missed the last post there. sounds like you got a case of 'krinkle cone' (that's the main reason I gave up on my Edens)

creased cones = recone = $$$$

:/

9. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    haha nah, i'm pretty sure its a voice coil issue. i've removed the physical speaker from the cabinet, and when i press on it, it makes that faint rubbing/grinding noise.

i'll be looking into getting it reconed. will it look the same as the rest of my drivers? I'm a little worried that one driver is gonna look different than the rest. call me picky...but yannoo...

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Always a possibility.

11. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Could be the voice coil...or not. I had a B&C Epi 10" that developed the 'scraping' sound. It turns out the cone was separating from the surround in an area about 4" long. It sounded to my ear like the 'scrape' sound was coming from the separation. Either way, Orange County Speaker Works out on my side of the continent was willing to look at it and see if it could be repaired. Ask for Eric Sunda.

I ended up purchasing a new one from Epifani. Be very careful if you go that route. Mine was an out-of-warranty situation due to the age of my cabinet. No problem, as I was perfectly willing to pay for a brand new raw speaker. It came with a crease in the cone area. The most likely cause was from someone at Epifani grabbing the speaker incorrectly and pressing their thumb into the cone. After sending them numerous photos of the speaker and shipping box I finally convinced them that this particular speaker was damaged. My viewpoint was that I paid for a brand new, perfect speaker...that's what I deserved.

They had the audacity to make me pay shipping back to them. Shipping the item back wasn't much money. It was the principle. Sadly, they lost a customer forever. I will never, ever purchase another one of their products, new or used. With the exception of buying parts for my UL-410 S1 (to keep it running), they will never get another dime from me. There are too many companies like Genz-Benz, Aguilar, and Bergantino (among others) that 'get it' when it comes to customer service. I no longer recommend Epifani products to those in my local community who ask about gear. :(

M. M. :)

12. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    so get this, today i was messing around with it, and all of a sudden the scraping sound went away. i kept trying to push the driver in and reproduce that springy noise, but it wouldn't make it again. i screwed the driver back in and played through it for a while, and no rattle at all. weird...

13. This just happened to my cab. It sounds like the driver. What speaker is used in Series ! cab? I know Epifani went to another speaker for the S2.

14. I heard that Series 1 was using a driver (BCN Spider) exclusively for Epifani. Anyone know more detail?
    Thanks.

15. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    That's exactly what happened to mine. Also, the speaker that I thought was the problem, wasn't.