Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JoeJoe, Dec 15, 2001.

1. JoeJoe

Dec 15, 2001
    Alrighty, i just got this ibanez bass last week it was a cheap one i admit. but when i got it home and start to play i notice that the 2nd and 3rd stirngs rattle whenever fretted now i go back to the place i bought it from and they adjust the truss rod for me and tell me how that works i get it home its not quite fixed so i loosen the truss rod some more untill it is as loose as it will get and it still rattles. then i see somwhere that is i make the bridge go higher that could get rid of it too, well i did that now its pretty freakin high and guess what it still rattles, now if anyone out there can help me out i would really appreciate it this is frestrating me very bad.. thank you..
  2. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI

Is the nut loose? It could be rattling against the nut, however the guys at the guitar shop you took it to would've caught that.

Are the frets uneven? I know there's a way to check, but I'm not recalling what that is exactly. You could have one fret that is higher than the others.

Also, I play an Ibanez SR 506, and one of the characteristics of Ibanez's is to have a little rattle to the sound, but it's nothing like fret buzz, so I don't know.

Another thing... you should'nt mess with the truss rod if you don't know what you're doing. Bad things may happen.
  3. JoeJoe

Dec 15, 2001
    thank you for the reply do you know how to find out if the frets are uneven? and if you find they are how do you fix this problem? if you know please tell me. thank you
  4. Yeah my ibanez rattles a bit too. Oh how i wish i'd never gotten it. When I get my MusicMan I'm gonna use that piece of junk for firewood or something...
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I actually had this problem with my SR800 a few years ago. it was the D string. couldnt figure out what it was. it turned out to be a loose tuner. Id suggest you take the strings off and see if one of the tuner shafts rattles in its socket. if it does, take that thing back to the shop. is it new? if so it sould be under warranty from that kinda thing. otherwise you could consider replacing that one or two tuners with new ones... but id say if youre going to replace them anyways you might as well get some good ones. Carvin makes a good set thats fairly inexpensive, that match the style of the ibanez. I find them very smooth and tight, and they might be cheaper than a new set of gotohs or something similar. If im wrong and you take all the strings off for nothing i apologize for wasting your time. :confused:
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This thread would be better off in the Setup forum.