Rattley, Crunchy, Overdrive/Distortion????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguy187, Nov 30, 2001.

1. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Alright heres the deal,
    i've been listening to Rage Against the Machine alot lately, especially the evil empire cd, and i hear this sweet @$$ distortion, (chorus of Bulls on Parade, People of the Sun, Verse of Down Rodeo where it is especially audible, and he uses it throughout the cd on other songs also) i have no clue what pedal he is using, i tried the odb3 thing and i couldn't get the sound i wanted out of it, and i tried the big muff more like big fuzz, and i tried the DOD pedal,
    if you have any clue what it is, let me know.
    thanx for the help.
  2. He used the Marshall Guv'nor, if i'm not mistaken
  3. Argh ! Marshall.. you pagan ! :p :rolleyes:
  4. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    oh really,
    what is it like,
    i assume its just another bass distortion pedal?
    or what?
    where can i find it?
  5. It's a guitar distortion with great crunch... The first distorted bass player played through a Marshall head, It seems to work very well on a bass. The GK Deasil Dawg gets the same tone.
  6. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Is the Gk Deasil Dawg a guitar pedal as well?
  7. ...No that one is made for bass, it has a dedicated mid control ans well as bass and treble tone controls.
  8. You might be able to get that sound with an Ibanez PD7, depending on your bass and amp setup.

You can nail his regular 'Bullet In The Head' tone with it on clean through any amp though.
  9. I have quite a few buzz-boxes and I'd say that the old DOD Bass Grunge gets pretty close to that "gravelly" sound. Kind of intense on its own but in a band context it really cuts through....
    Go read the last bass player mag w/ it's stompbox shoot out.