Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rattling/buzzing in new Carvin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My LB75P is only 5 days old, and already a problem. I replaced the strings with a SLIGHTLY heavier string, an the action jumped way up. I gave the truss two 1/4 turns in 2 days, and everything is fine. Action low, intonation good. Today at rehaearsal, I notice a rattle. It is most pronounced on the 15th fret on the G and D, but also on other frets and the open strings. :help: Before I do anything else, I wanted to ask for advice.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Open strings = nut problem?

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :meh: could be. maybe related to string gauge change? Do I bring to local luthier or send back to Carvin?

4. i'd say send to local luthier for diagnosis. that way, if it turns out to be something minor, he can take care of it on the spot, but if the problem turns out to be a little more serious, you can send it back and have carvin do it for free.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This Carvin seems to be giving you quite a bit of trouble. Not sure if its worth it? How much do you like it? would you miss it if you sent it back?

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I put it in the case this morning and brought it after work to the top local luthier. We took it out, and it played fine. :confused: The problem just went away by itself. :oops: It's fine now. He did say that I did a nice job with the neck adjustment. :cool: Very strange.

7. Sounds to me like when you adjusted your neck, you did it just a tad too much. However, this was a GOOD thing, because once the neck settled a bit after a couple of days, it is now where it needs to be.

Play on!

Remember: Heavier gage string = more tension = truss rod adjustment. Especially on Carvin basses, their necks are generally pretty thin and require the occasionally tweek-a-rooni. ESPECIALLY with string change out.

However, with this said, I have a Carvin AC40 and I love it.

8. Also...I'm pretty sure Carvin's are shipped with stepped strings (thinner over the bridge). If you replaced them with non-stepped strings or strings with a larger diameter over the bridge, then that would have raised your action as well.