Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rattling No Matter what i do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hefferstud, Dec 14, 2002.

1. What do you think i should do? I noticed that my neck had a buzz at the 12th fret, so i tried tightening the truss rod. That didnt work so i tried loosening it. And now the buzzes have multiplied into an evil 3rd fret, 7th fret, 12th fret, and 19th fret annoyance. WHat should i do? tighening or loosening the truss rod only made it worse and made even more appear. I am desperate to try anything except buying a new neck or a new bass.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    STOP SCREWING WITH YOUR TRUSS ROD. might be to late..... take it to a shop if you have no idea. maybe it was a bad fret and you went SCREWING AROUND WITH YOUR NECK.......Not a good thing.,...

3. What kind of bass is it? It could be a high 12th fret. Take it to a music store and get it fixed. And while you're at it, get a complete setup job, since you're there and all.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I am with Pollybass on this one. If you don't know how to adjust the truss rod, don't mess with it. That is a good way to ruin your neck, For one thing, you should only tighten or loosen using very very small adjustments.. you need to take that bass somewhere... I hope you haven't broken the truss rod.. Good luck

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Bingo,,, at the MOST a 1/4 turn at a time to see how the neck is going to act, and sometimes, the full effect does not show until some time later. turn it once, then leave it for the night, then when you wake up, see if it works. thats what i WOULD have told you,,,,,, but seeing as how ya went all WILLY NILLY!:p

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It may just be a high or low fret somewhere. It may not be the neck bow at all.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats what i said in my first post. Thats why you should TAKE IT TO A PRO.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a setup issue, I think.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Relax dude. You yelled at the guy in three straight posts. He just asked a question.

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Thank you , Rick.

I think that there may be a few people who have became active in the set-up forum that may have lost sight of what the set-up forum is all about.

It seems absurd that anyone who is intellegent enough to use a computer is not aware that the answer to any set-up problem is to simply let someone else do it.

Polly Bass: To make a blanket statement like "take it to a repairman" is totally NOT what this set-up forum is all about!

Adjusting a truss rod is hardly rocket science. If you , personally don't feel comfortable with the procedure, then YOU take YOUR bass to the repairman and drop a handfull of bucks everytime the weather changes. To suggest that everyone else do the same is just plain bad advice. IMHO a bass player that can't adjust his own bass is like a wood carver that doesn't know how to sharpen a knife.

if you don't have a specific answer to a specific problem, you are only creating static.

Please take what I've said in a positive light.

---------

Sorry for the rant, Hefferstud.

If you have only adjusted the truss rod, put the truss rod back where it was to start with. I.E, adjust in the opposite direction untill you only have a buzz on the twelfth fret.

Use a straight edge to check for a high fret in the 13th position.

A bicycle playing card has a precision straight edge on all four edges and works great for checking and
    leveling frets.

A high fret is indicated if a straight edge spans any three frets and rocks on the 2nd or center of the three frets.

As a general rule, if there is a buzz (or rattle) on only one fret, a high or low fret is the prob. A low fret means a fret that has a notch worn in it from playing wear. This is obvious from a visual inspection.

It pays to look at the string where it contacts the fret. Sometimes you will find a dent in the string where it has been accidently banged against the fret.

Hope this helps. If not, post back and someone will help you.

Pkr2

11. yea i think thats it. I turned the truss back to where it was before and it still buzzes, and i looked at the fret is pretty screwed up. so i think this is the problem because its only on like the 12th and 13th fret. so should i still take it in for repair? and thank you to everyone who helped me out and not yell at me. :D :D

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yes, if the fret is messed up it's probably not a DIY repair.

Pkr2

13. Hey Pkr2..... want my job? :p

No well handled Pkr2,

I would like to expand on that by saying that the people who post in here with a question want to have a go at doing it themselves. If they wanted to take it to the repairman.. why waste time posting here? The bass would already be in the shop by then.

And for the people who post, please try a search. But dont just search for one thing. Aka "Fret Buzz" if it comes up with nothing try "Buzz", "Arrghh", "Fret". its all there trust me. There is a wealth of information here, even in this forum, many users will put "take it to the repairman" because they have explained how to do it 100 times etc.

But that is not the point, for the people who can answer a question... think of yourselves as teachers, its a teachers job to explain things over and over, year in year out to a new class. Have a heart, they have no idea, you do. If you teach them how to do it, then they'll take over the reigns and field the questions.

Pkr2 knows his stuff, but like everyone, he occasionally gets frustrated when the teaching/learning process is halted. Hambone and myself rely on people like Pkr2 and many others to field the questions. I do not see myself as one of two mods for this forum, i am part of a group. Only difference is, i get in trouble if i dont move things heehee. Our job would be made extremely hard, and this forum very boring if everyone just sat back and read Hambone or my posts.

So when you go to post a reply, spare a thought for the person asking the question. Ask yourself "why did they ask in the first place.. obviously they want help". If they dont want help, its pretty clear early on... and thats when a mod removes it.

Merls

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "Hey Pkr2..... want my job? :p

No well handled Pkr2,"

I don't understand the second sentence. Did I do or say something wrong?

No I don't want your job, thank you. In fact, there may not be a need for the set-up forum at all any longer. If a subject has been covered in the past or is in the FAQ, members are discouraged from pursuing the subject any further in the forum.

IMHO if a question is repeatedly asked, it must not have been explained well enough to start with.

Again, IMHO, I can't help but believe that the reason TB has gained the popularity that it enjoys because of the personal interaction among members. I believe that responding to a question with "do a search" is contrary to what a DISCUSSION forum is all about.

I find it hard to believe that conservation of bandwidth is the driving force behind discouraging discussion simply because someone else discussed it in the past.

If the redunduncy is being discouraged because it's working the mods too hard, then we need additional mods! There doesn't seem to be a shortage of qualified volunteers.

Paul is running a discussion forum that is at least partially financed by advertisers (SWR). I believe that most advertisers are more impressed by the activity on a board that is being squelched when a member is told to "do a search". It seems more productive to me to answer the query and then suggest a search.

Thanks for listening to the rant. If I'm out of order, feel free to delete at will.

Pkr2

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I to believe the "do a search " answer is a little off putting (if that's actually a word). In the past I have done searches and sometimes I got the answer I was looking for and other times I didn't. Then when I posted a question to further gather some info I got the short " do a search " response. If some one is tired of answering the same question to the point of virtual yelling at some one maybe they shouldn't answer at all and let some else field the question. Also there is repetition in all the forums, I mean how many P vs J or SWR vs Eden threads have there been and noone ever gets snippy about that. Anyway as Pkr2 said it is a discussion board and if you're tired of discussing, then don't.
    Oh I almost forgot all of the above comes with all the IMO's IMHO's and just my .02 worth.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just the opposite!
    He was saying: you're doing great!

And I agree.
    For whatever my view may be worth to you...1/2 cent, perhaps? 1/20?;)

17. On the "do a search" concept. If the user states "I have tried a search but didnt find anything" then it is answered asap. But when we get the Noobs coming in and asking a question that actually appears even on the same page etc, then the "do a search" button comes into play, or like many times, i'll find the stuff and post the links.

I agree, the information is there. Some people (mainly people who just blindly log in and ask away without truly researching the vast expanse of information on this forum) tend to think that what they are asking, has never been asked before. When 90% it has been asked.

:D:D

Merls