Rattling on my J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Aug 14, 2004.

1. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hey guys, i have a MIM Fender Jazz bass, but i find it hard to get a clean sound. Especially on the A string i find it rattles quite a bit while im playing it. I am worried the string may be a little close to the Fretboard. You could blame my playing, but can anyone recommend anything that may help. Should i raise the bridge???
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Raising the saddle for your A string should take care of the problem. Also look down the neck to see if the neck is bowing into the strings. If so, turn the trussrod adjuster slightly counter-clockwise. Not too much, though.

You don't want the neck to be straight, it needs to slightly bow away from the strings. If you're not comfortable adjusting your trussrod, take your bass to a reputable repair shop or music store.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is the A string rattling when you play it open or fretted?

If it's mostly when you play an open A, it might be because you/whoever changed the strings last might not of left enought "meat" on the string, meaning you might of cut it too short. If there is not enough winds on the tuning gear post, there won't be a proper downward angle from the nut to the bottom of the post, causing to rattle in the nut.

4. Wow! I never knew that...thanks for the great tip! I always try and leave a good many windings on the post, but never really viewed it as a necessity til now.