Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rattling problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JediMonk2, Aug 23, 2000.

1. JediMonk2

JediMonk2

Aug 22, 2000
    I occasionally play a Squire P-bass, and I have a little problem with rattling when I use it. I don't have the problem with other basses, so I thought maybe there was an adjustment I could make to the bass to at least lessen the rattling. Any suggestions?

2. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Rattling? Were? Inside? Is it the strings? If it is the strings, what are they rattling on, and also do they rattle when played open, or only when fretted, or only on certain fretts?

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i have a squier p bass that doesnt rattle at all in any way anywhere

4. JediMonk2

JediMonk2

Aug 22, 2000
    It seems to be the strings on the frets, JHMAVRO. I'm wondering if maybe the frets need to be sanded down a bit, or maybe the truss rod (that's right, isn't it?) needs adjustment?

5. That depends, was it always like this, or did it start recently? If it was always like that, you might want to swap out the nut and change the saddle heights on the bridge. If it just started recently, maybe just a fret dressing and small truss rod adjustment are in order.

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Is every string rattaling on every frett? If they onley rattle on the say... 3rd to 12th frett,Its probbly the truss rod. Does the bass have a neck angle adjustment screw??

7. JediMonk2

JediMonk2

Aug 22, 2000
    It's always rattled like that. I have adjusted the saddle heights, but it only lessened the rattling slightly. I'll try swapping the nut, I never thought about that at all. And to JHMAVRO- where exactly is a neck angle adjustment screw located? I'm not too familiar with the mechanically aspect of the bass.

8. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    The neck angle adjustment srew (if there is one) can be a reached through a hole ine the neck plate. you will probley need a hex key for it.
    You might want to check the neck releif befor you swap the nut. Frett the lowest dtring at the 1st and 12th frett. Now look at the clearance above the 4-5-6-7 fretts. There is supposed to be a ceratain amount of space here. The pros measure it with a ruler (I cant remember how much space in .mm) , but half a$$es like me just go by site.
    If your still not shure,(loosen strings) try turning the truss rod 1/4 of a turn, counter clockwise. If this helps but you think it could use another turn, wait a day and try it again.

9. Are the strings wound around the tuning pegs from top to bottom?

Maybe there's not enough of an angle to the strings on the tuners' side of the nut. That would definitely cause rattling.

10. JediMonk2

JediMonk2

Aug 22, 2000
    Yeah, the tuning pegs are wound properly. JHMAVRO, there's no neck angle adjustment on it, sorry. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens. Thank you all much.

11. If you're going to try a truss rod adjustment and you haven't done one before, be careful,don't overdo it. A little goes a long way.And always remember, lefty loosy, righty, tighty! :)

12. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    have you tried tightening the tuners themselves??

13. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Let us know how it goes.

14. JediMonk2

JediMonk2

Aug 22, 2000
    The truss rod adjustment worked! Thanks everyone. While I'm thinking about it, will the truss rod need to be adjusted after the next time I change the strings?

15. Hopefully not.Are you going to use the same gauge strings?
    and don't leave it next to an AC vent or something like that. I've had my Truss rod on my Fender adjusted twice in fifteen years,FWIW.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say most likely yes, if you put on a set that is in any way different. You may also need to adjust the truss rod to cope with changes in weather/climate etc. If you visit the Fender website, they have a good guide to adjusting the truss rod. It is fairly easy to do and one of the things that can make a big difference to your bass's setup. If you want a low action, you are going to have to experiment with different truss rod settings also.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Bruce is right on about the changes in weather/climate. We moved into a big old house and my practice room is a bit warmer (eastern exposure) than in our previous home. So I am having to tweak the truss rod a bit on my basses. Of course...I'll have to "re-tweak" as soon as it cools up. IF and when that happens...:)