Rattling Redhead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Dec 5, 2002.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Recently acquired a 'new' Super Redhead. Sold as new at GC - looked like it's been around the block a time or two, but I got a good deal on it - so anyway...

I noticed a pretty serious rattle on a low G note. Found that I could reach under the amp section, into the rack space, push hard on the bottom of the amp, and eliminate the rattle. Went through the old paperback book pile and found a pair that would wedge tight in there, but then noticed a rattle on a low A. Another pair of books beside the first has gotten things pretty much under control.

I'm rather surprised to get that kind of rattle out of a piece of SWR equipment. Never encountered anything like it in my other SWR stuff. I know that combo amps are *extremely* prone to such mischief, but I was still surprised.

Well, having some paperbacks shoved in there is a bit cheesy, but it's not going to diminish my affection for this great little amp. Anyone else ever encounter something similar? - the Redhead's been around for a good while now and I'm sure a number of folks here have played one - for all I know this could be a common complaint...

2. I know a basser with an SWR combo who complains of a rattle on middle C. He has a folded-up string envelope stuffed under something somewhere in the rear. He said I was like the 100th person to ask him about it. I'm just relieved my 'ol cheap Ampeg has never developed any rattles (knock on wood) cuz I put it thru hell and it's all sealed up in the rear and there's nowhere to stuff jack! :)
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    b...b...bump :)

Hopeful that someone here has used an SWR Redhead and has or has not noticed rattle/vibration noise...

I'd like to know if my case is common or rare, even if you don't have any suggestions for fixing the problem...

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Super Redhead that sounds great with no rattles. I noticed when I removed the head to try some different tubes that SWR put some rubber material (might be auto door gasket material) between the head and the wood rail that supports it on the bottom. This makes it pretty stiff to slide in place but secures it quite well.

As with all SWR tube preamp sections, a good US or European tube will really improve the tone. I believe I have a Telefunken in mine.