1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rattling Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I turned my bass amp on and had all my stuff hooked up and started to play. Then I noticed my cabinet didn't sound as good as usual. First I just thought it was vibrations from being close to the wall so I got down closer to each individual speaker. I noticed one was rattling pretty noticeably. I tried tightening down the screws holding it in. After this failed, I proceeded to remove the speaker and check the wiring. It was a little loose so I took it out and put it back in. I made sure the wires were fairly tight. When all was said and done, I started playing again and it sounded great again. After about 5-10 minutes the rattling comes back. WHY?! I sat in front of the cabinet and made sure it was the same speaker. While I was holding notes I lightly touched the speaker and the rattling stopped. What do I do now?

2. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Look to see if the surround or the spider has come detached from the basket. Is it worse when you turn up or play low notes?

3. Myth_103

It is worse when I play low notes. I don't have time to look at it right now though. Have to go to work! I don't get how something could have gone wrong. I've pretty much babied those speakers up until this point.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you might need to get the speaker re-coned because it is going.

5. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Check your dust cap, too, to make sure it's not loose. And gently push on the cone to see if there is any 'grit' when it moves, especially compared to the other drivers in your cab. Search around for more info.

6. Myth_103

I got 4 of these speakers less than a month ago and have never pushed them over around 150 watts...