Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rattling strings..strings or neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PasterofMuppets, May 26, 2001.

1. I'm getting a rattle when I play the 4th and 5th fret on the D string, and the 4th and 5th strings on my G string(on the guitar..=P). I had heard awhile back that this was something with the neck, but I forget what it was and who told me. Is it the strings, or is it something with the neck? I wanna get this fixed before it becomes a big problem. If this is the wrong place to post this let me know. =P

2. It maybe that the fretboard needs to be cleaned or you need now strings. But the neck may need to be tuned a little.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Your frets might be a little uneven, your neck might be warped, the action on your D and G-string may be too low. Bring it into a shop and let them take a look at it.

4. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Did you try without the strings?

5. If its kinda like a low deep buzz rattle it might be your tuners, if its a high buzz rattle its prob your frets.

6. try putting the bass on, holding the strings near the pickups and then give the back on the neck a small slap, did you hear the noise?

What kind of bass?
    Bolt-on neck or Neck thru?

7. I got it fixed. =P The guy at guitar center said it was probally the humidity in the air that caused it.

8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey PM, what did they charge you for that if you dont mind me asking. I have a little clack on my Stongray on the D, and A strings. I think the neck needs a twist but I am new in this town and dont want to get ripped for a neck tweaking.

9. They did it for free :) Just take your bass to a guitar place, and see if they'll do it for free. If not, threaten to use terrorist forces to overthrow their great grandmothers native country. If that doesn't work, go somewhere else, or just pay.

10. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I prefer the terrorist forces thingy