1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rattling tuning pegs...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Feb 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I never noticed this before but it seems as if over night my pegs started rattling... I have tightened everything as tight as I can get it... any ideas?

2. Is your bass down-tuned?
    I can't imagine another reason why the string tension would allow for rattling.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If the leaf part has come loose from the post and that's what's rattling, the only thing you're going to be able to do is replace it (them). I had this happen to me more that once. Hold the tuner when you play. If it doesn't rattle, that's probably what you have going on.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    What kind of tuners?

5. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Hipshot Lic.. It is wierd because I never noticed it before.. now it is distracting.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Not brand. Kind. Type.

Think engineering, not marketing.

Totally enclosed, sealed for life?
    Open back elephant ears?
    Adjustment screws?
    Etc?

7. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    They are open back 3/8 ......

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Fender style tuners/open back tuners: If they rattle it's usually the leaf/knob/club/handle that is loose and rattling. Wick a drop of water thin CA glue at the joint between the leaf and shaft.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Turnaround likes this.