Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rattling . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 18, 2005.

1. When i play some notes i get a strange rattle from the headstock, its not a note from the strings, it seems to be either coming from the tuners, or the truss rod, i might take the truss rod cover off later and see if its anything in there, this is, well, odd :eyebrow: , i hope nothing is too ****ed :crying: :bawl:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I had this on my Ibanez too, try tightening the tuner peg bolts. Thats all it was on mine. You should be able to tell pretty easily. Does it rattle some when you shake the bass as well?

3. yeah it does, cheers thats my project for tomorrow, i was fretting (bum-tish) that it was the truss rod bolt bit had gone loose or something

4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I have had the cover to my truss rod adjustment screw rattle

5. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    It is possible that the string is hitting the sides of the nut slot, especially if you use a light gauge.

You can check it by playing an open string and a fretted note. Only the open string should rattle.

6. Juneau was right, the nut on the E string tuner was needing tightened, it wasnt even on straight :| , and because of that the washer under it was rattling, cheers, sorted now :)

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Cool, glad that did the trick :) Gotta watch those Ibanez's lol. Great basses for the money I think, but sometimes need a little tweakin' :D