1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Raunchy tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by full_bleed, Mar 26, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd like some suggestions on how to get a tone with crunchy and raspy high mids and focused growly lows. I love sound clips so if you got 'em post 'em.

2. Get some bass effect processor with more setups.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks for the suggestion but I don't see how an effects processor wil give me anything more than what an eq will. I'm not to much of an fx guy myself aside from a smidge distorion here an there.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, an effects processor will probably give you overdrive, distortion, fuzz, etc which will help do some of the things you mention.

While you can change pickups to focus your natural sound more in that area, i.e. series humbuckers, it depends on your bass and pickup configuration.

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    The bass will be custom made. For the most part it's a blank slate but I was looking at going with a walnut body with a maple neck and maple fretboard, then a couple of Seymour Duncan MM ceramic pickups, and an active 3-band eq with a parametric mid. That was the plan but it can all be changed to get me what I want.

6. Do your research and take your time doing it.

A custom bass will have about zero for resale value, especially if using non-standard layouts such as a pair of MM. You are going to invest a lot of time and money into a custom product that is essentially a "keeper". Make sure it is what you want for the long term.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Boy, looking at your profile it seems you're already halfway there with the 2x15 and the P-bass.

Here's a couple of suggestions, in order of least expense ;)

That Firebass head is capable of some serious rumbly lows and mid-scoop... check the manual and make sure you're not using the contour backwards. I think contour at 10 is flat on that head, so crank it up all the way. Then try rolling off some low because it's voiced at 20Hz - just bring up the master volume to compensate. That should get you a lot more raunchy mids at zero $$ cost.

You could also try a hotter P pickup in the Hamer. Something like a DiMarzio P or a Duncan Hot for P.

A tube driver pedal might get you there without buying a new head. But next up would definitely be an all tube head like the SVT on your GAS list. Or a Sunn or on Orange.

All of these options would be a lot less expensive than a custom bass... which may or may not get the tone you're after, and you'll have no way of knowing until it's bought and paid for.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Something like this?

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    No I'm mean a more natural tone from the bass itself without the help of an overdrive. I like the sound of that overdirve though.

Since when is that non standard? EB has been making that variation for how long now? NOt exactly the the same but that's G&L's main layout offering to the bass market.

Thanks for the eq tips. As far as my P-bass goes I don't really want to modify it since it was my first bass. I don't think it would be worth me moding anyways. If I get another P bass though I think I'm going to go for a P/J that way it'll be more flexible.

From what I've read around here and a few other websites I think I'm going in the right direction to get the sound I want. In essence I'm looking for the MM sound but much more agressive. That's why I'm looking at the ceramic MM's rather than the alinco. Walnut is a nice hard wood that generally gives a bass a tight bottom and a little growl, also produces, from what I've read, clear articulate highs but also contibutes to a slight bump in the low mids. Maple neck and fretboard should help give me a crisp edgy presence to the high mids- highs. I really don't know how the preamp will effect the sound though. I saw that Modulus was using a seymour duncan mm and a ntmb pre. I know I like the sound of the flea bass with the lane poor but that's not exactly an option anymore.

Thanks for the help up to this point guys:bassist: