Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rave music destroying rock n'roll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Feb 21, 2002.

1. I hate rave and everything about it. I hate those freakin' robots who think they are very cool and those stupid partys. Rave makes people stupid. In future rave will totaly destroy normal music. And i don't hate just rave. I hate every techno and house, whatever. It SUCKS!!!!

2. Well it's a good thing you cleared that up for me first, otherwise I might have enjoyed myself this weekend. :rolleyes:

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There's good music in every genre, and it's useless to compare them to each other. It's all a matter of personal taste and the current fad anyway. Music taste changes over time, rock 'n roll has never been totally out of fashion and will eventually be the "in thing" again.

Be comforted to know that good songs with lyrics and melody last forever, no-one will remember a rave/house beat tomorrow.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Looks to me like you got some kinda HATE thing going.
    Doc

5. I cant stand the music. And all the raves I've been to were full of drugged up morons.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    total word - my school is full of these kinds of people. popping pills seems the be the 'in' thing right now, along with having sex with three wogs at a time to the repetetive drone created by some loser behind a mixing desk. this isn't music IMO, it's fashion.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    rock'n roll will never die
    :D

8. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    maybe only those in Ireland and the UK can appreciate this but I mind a time when there existed a band called the STONE ROSES.
    I know it's cliché but they were a real 'crossover' act between rave and rock.
    They were freakin amazin'.
    (Fool's Gold is one of my favourite songs)

:confused: ....."normal music"?????

9. I was never really a Stone Roses fan but "Fool's Gold" is a classic.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    even if i'm not from ireland or UK i really appreciate the stone roses!

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Tom Jenkinson aka. Squarepusher.

He does Drum 'n' Bass and plays (fretless) bass too.
    Sounds like Weather Report on Acid.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

People said that rock n' roll killed off Jazz in the 1960's and there was a traumatic effect. So my parents told me that when they were young in the 1950s, they had Jazz Parties and invited friends to come and dance to Jazz records, much like raves - until early in the morning. Jazz was the music of their youth - their rock n' roll.

So in the 60s, Elvis, The Beatles, etc. took over the airwaves and Jazz was no longer the popular music for young people to dance to. Jazz still exited for afficianados, and there are still loads of people playing jazz and making records. But it will never be as popular again, as it was in the late 1950s - especially with young audiences.

I think rock n' roll has undergone a similar fate - there will alway be people playing it and a big market amongst older people for re-issues and cover bands; but like Jazz it will proably never come back into mainstream except occasionally - like Robbie Williams making a record of big-band Jazz a la Sinatra!

Each generation has it's own youth culture and music - rock n' roll had its day and the next generation will probably feel about rave culture, much as today's youth feels about Elvis Presley!

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's what I call "raving" ;)

One band I'm in plays at raves. The people like the change to live music. For us, it's a nice change playing for a crowds that aren't juicers and the problems they often cause.....(plus the money is just stoopid!!!).

I've found the the rave audiences to be largely intelligent, thoughtful, people. Many of them are top students, are interested in world affairs, or hold down decent jobs. In fact, I've run into quite a few pre-med students in the audiences. Not all of them use drugs by a long shot. And those who do are smart enough to have Dance Safe there to check the purity of their drugs.

Like it or not, techno/house/industrial/trip-hop has had a huge impact on modern music, (ask Jeff Beck).

And I guarantee you - you won't see any ravers starting a thread like this about rock or any other music. They're very positive people, IME.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, dude. be a lover not a hater.

15. Continuing off of Bruce's point, it's important to note that some of the greatest artistic statements of jazz have occurred long after it ceased to be a major commercial force. One might forget that it took more than ten years for Kind of Blue to go gold, and even then it's one of the biggest-selling jazz recordings ever.

Specialization is one of the ways that rock will survive. With a very few exceptions, nobody buys Big Rock Records anymore (witness the market failures of Bush's and Live's latest efforts). However, bands that aim at a specialty market--thrash and death metal, silly ska-punk (perpetually beloved by 17-year-olds and Utahns), hardcore, math-rock, etc.--can be commercially successful if they abandon Rock Star pretensions and the costs that go with them (cocaine, oversized venues, private jets, etc.)

I happen to enjoy a lot of "rave music" myself; the aforementioned Squarepusher, as well as other intelligent junglists such as Amon Tobin and Spring Heel Jack, get as much playing time on my stereo as do Wayne Shorter or Charles Mingus. Aphex Twin and the Orb are also favorites of mine.

16. buckethead he uses techno stuf in his music,what ever you want to call his music its good. i hate all dance club music

othere then his music i hate any thing that close to techno.
    i cant under stand why any one wants to go listen to techno its like the same beat over and over again.dumb e heads

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's funny, all the radio stations in my town play "Modern Rock" and top-40. I only wish techno was on the air. But more importantly:

I like techno/house/rave/trip-hop.
    I like jazz.
    I like many varieties of rock, metal, and punk.
    I like blues, R&B, rap, hip-hop, and funk.
    I like reggae.
    I like goth/industrial/ethereal.
    I like progressive/avant-garde/experimental/unclassifiable.
    I even like folk/bluegrass/C&W.

Doesn't matter to me what the flavor of the week is, I'll still be able to find the other forms of music I like.

P.S. Life will be much more enjoyable for you if you open your mind.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fuzz - I like your open-mindedness and I don't want to be seen as "sucking up" only because our views are convergent - But - Do you have any college/university stations in your area???

These are the type of stations where I have found rave/techno/industrial/trip-hop are played quite regularly. Unfortunately, they don't have the bucks to make their signals stronger, IME.

But if you're just listening to the stations that come in strong and force-feed you all the music they have desinged to be successful, (Nickelback, Sugar Ray, Creed, et al), all the "safe stuff" there's a good chance you are being corn-holed by the Fred Durst-mega corporations.

Perhaps an online stream could give you exposure to worthwhile stuff that went down decades ago and is going on now, beyond the stations that are trying to sell the CD's from recording companies that also own the big radio stations.

In my era, they were called "underground stations" or, "alternative." If a track was 13 minutes long and sounded fabulous, they played it. They aired all the commericials they had to, but the sponsors had no influence on what music was being played.

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    nothing against raves, but this made me laugh last year on Somethingawful.com... it was an "Awful Link of the day about a rave page:

"Apparently "PLUR" stands for Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect.

What "plurring" has to with ravers is a complete and total mystery to me, considering raving consists mostly of taking drugs which makes these embarrassments even more retarded than they already are, being hypnotized by glowsticks, dressing up like 4-year old's with muscular dystrophy, and stumbling around to horrible music that loops "BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM" or perhaps "BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM BOOM" over and over again."

http://www.somethingawful.com/archives/news-archive-17-11-2001.htm
    On the bottom of it

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Raves didn't destory Rock, Rock destroyed Rock. Techno music has nothing to do with Rock producing bland, boring, formulatic bands nowadays.

On that note, I wish I lived where some of you guys do, if they play rave music so much. Around here, everyone's into Limp Bizkit or Ja Rule or something. I love techno music, but with most of my musical taste, no one agrees with me where I live.

The greatest Techno/Rock band to ever come out, IMO is, Girls Against Boys. God I love that band.