Ravel: Pavane pour une infante défunte

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Can someone explain what happens at bar 25, the switch from pizz to arco, is there a different tempo to play at? I think the French description is "un poco ritenuto" but that seems to be midway thru bar 26...I hope you know the part I am talking about!

Thanks for reading!

2. Witjas

Witjas

Dec 4, 2010
    Germany
    There's no intended tempo change in 25 - at least there's nothing written in the score - but it's possible the conductor may start the ritenuto (slowing down) earlier than its written, so watch out for that.

It's worth noting that all the strings have the same rhythm from there, so if your not sure what's going on with the conductor, you can follow how the concertmaster is playing..

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks - I agree, seems to be that when following the score against most recordings on YouTube, the ritenuto is started much earlier yet not marked as such on score...

4. Hi Andy, This is one of the lovliest miniature works in the repertory. It's a tiny masterpiece of orchestration but it gets played so often it has become a bit corny. If you can get passed that you'll really enjoy this one.

The technical stuff:

Half way through the bar (where you have two printed retake down bows) the wood wind come in so watch for the wind players and see how they wait for it. Just before the pizz the wood wind also have an eighth note rest so you can phrase again with them to get ready for the pizz.
    It's always a good idea to have a look at the score to see what's going on and coordinate yourself with whoever has stuff at the same time as you! In this case the woodwind.

Cheers
    FC

5. Witjas

Witjas

Dec 4, 2010
    Germany
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    OK, thanks to all, certainly need to keep an eye out when playing in an orchestra!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021