Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 27, 2001.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    My friend was looking for a bass adn was searching mostly online. while he was looking online, he found the basses at ravenwestguitars.com for low prices and good specs. i've never heared of them, adn they look like nice basses and all, but i cant find out why they are so cheap!

I was jsut wondering if you guys have ever played any of them, adn if they sound and are as good as they look.

thanks,
    Slick519

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't tried any but a local dealer is waiting on some. Word is they have some supply problems due to slowed down shipping from wherever they come from (Indonesia? Korea? Pago Pago? Kabul?).

When I see $300 instruments with quilted tops and gold hardware, something doesn't smell right. Looking at basses for 30+ years, I've yet to see anyone giving this kind of stuff away. The story is always the money is spent on eye candy and the sound/playability/guts get compromised big time. Their market is traditionally people who buy with their eyes instead of their ears.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just a realist.

It would be nice to see an exception to my experience, for once.

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    thats what i am thinking too. please tell me if get too play these basses. the reveiws are good for them, but you have no idea who is writing those reveiws!:D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I never got around to looking at the reviews. I was detoured by the dozen or so "Raven Girls" like Tia and forgot all about the basses -

[​IMG]

The thing that gets me about some manufacturer/distributor site reviews is you don't know if the reviewer has ever experienced top notch gear before. They may have just sold their Samick.

5. I too was caught by the babes & the quilt tops, after doing a little research I found that the Electronics are less than stellar, the quilt top is a little thin but does look nice, and the guy who had it was under the impression that it was made by the samick company and just "private Labeled" for Raven. But if your looking for a inexpensive back-up or an entry level instrument you should be good to go.

Best Wishes,
    D.R.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    a friend of mine bought a raven guitar off e-bay. it had a quilted maple top and looked nice but he said it was a piece of crap. he didnt really say why.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The guitarist in my band had a Raven guitar. It looked nice but the darn thing wouldn't even stay in tune. He sold it on ebay (maybe to old_skool's friend) and got a Parker P-38, which is a much much better guitar IMO.

8. I am Slick's friend that he is talking about. Since I just got back from Cali a few days ago I didnt get to reply earlyer. Anyway I have checked out alot of stores and seen alot of basses online new and used but I havent seen one that is really comparable to the price of some of the Raven ones I saw. I am really thinking anything is better then a Squier P-Bass and I want an upgrade some time this year hehe. I dont have enough for a Warwick or anything considering I am a 13 year old, so when I saw Raven basses so well equipped in style and features for only 300$ I kinda kept that as my primary idea twards buying. Now they have alot better basses in stock too. Im sure nothing is as it seems online but I cant find much better in the stores myself :(.

Anyway, does anyone know any basses or resources thatyou think are around the same or better then Raven ones at a good price? I would love to check it out if someone knows anything. Thanks

9. i have a raven that i got from ravenwest.com and i must say for it $$$ it is vary good the pickups arnt anything to flip over but with a good amp (GK) its sound great and better then a lot of ibanezs i have played the only thing i dont like about it is the string are VARY* close together it is hard to slap on anything but the b string or pluck on anything but the g string but vary good with a pick it has a fast thin neck with low action the does not buzz on any frets, the quit maple looks great but the color doesn't look as good as they do on ravenwest.com and as the thing about not staying in tune it is kindof true it stay in tune, not well, but i tune my bass every time i play it, i give them a 4 out of 5 and im going to but emgs in and ether that it will be a vary nice pieces of wood. so i would say if you are looking for a good 1st bass or a backup go for the raven