1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raven Labs MDB-1 Mixer/DI/Preamp FS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Michael Vee, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Raven Labs MDB-1. These are getting harder and harder to get as it's been several years since Steve Rabe ceased production.

This one is in very good condition.. does NOT include the power supply, although these are very sparing on batteries. I'm not playing out much these days, so I'm moving some pieces of gear, including this gem. $265 shipped. Paypal, CONUS only.

I'm starting a new thread for this since the old one is no longer editable.

From the Raven Labs Website:"The MDB-1 is a combination mixer/direct box/buffer/preamp in one small unit 6.7" wide x 1.75"high x 6"deep, and weighs approximately 2 lbs. The MDB-1 boasts an incredible 10 Meg ohm input impedance making it the perfect buffer for any instrument. Coupled with super low noise (-95dB typical), distortion (0.005% @ 1KHz) and a frequency response from 10Hz to 60KHz, makes this one of the finest pieces of equipment in its category. Input headroom is 2 volts RMS. Maximum gain is 3X with "unity" being at 12 o'clock on the volume control.

Buffer. Because of the low noise and high input impedance, the MDB-1 makes an extremely good buffer amp. For example: between external pickups, both piezo and magnetic, and amp; instrument(s) and recording on a computer; anywhere you need to go from a high impedance to a low impedance. Using the MDB-1 will insure all the information from your source will remain unloaded.

Mixer. Since each channel is completely independent, you can mix and blend up to 3 sources. Select the source desired one at a time or all three together.

Direct Box. The balanced XLR out is extremely accurate and very quiet. Perfect for professional and home recording.

Preamp. Great for passive or low level instruments.

Recording. Direct to tape if desired.

A/B box. For low level sources (i.e. keyboards, guitars, preamps).

Blending. Blend instruments with stereo or dual outputs to mono, such as acoustics with piezo and mic outputs or Alembic stereo basses.

Level Equalization. Preset the volume of instruments having different output levels during "soundcheck" thus eliminating problems during the live performance.

Home Recording.

Post production work in the audio/video industry.

Use in conjunction with computers and recording to disc or DAT.

Compact, goes anywhere. No external power source needed."

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bump for an awesome unit! :)

3. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree with bass tonemeister Bowlus.

Monday morning bump.

I've had all kinds of inquiries on the MDB-1 since I originally listed it. I'm willing to be patient and sell this piece to someone who needs its unique capabilities and knows this is a good price for it.

Note to overseas bassists: This is still CONUS only.

4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Bump again for a great unit. I only wish I could remember where I put mine......

Edwin

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL! I hear you on that one! While I do happen to know where my MDB-1 is located, there are more than a few items MIA somewhere in my basement. :p

6. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Amen also, just out in my garage!

It has completely made my evening that both Edwin Hurwitz and Tom Bowlus have posted in my MDB-1 thread!

7. Just a friendly pm sent.

OBTW folks - this unit is the bomb...I'd never want to be without mine.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did you look under a few things?

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Free bump for this.

I've been using this in the studio lately as my plug in interface and the sound guy (who happens to work for MTV) was immediately curious about it and said that it was one of the best things he's heard. (I plug my bass in to this, and then the Raven goes straight to the board)

These are great for recording. If you want, I'll ask him if he's interested in buying it.

10. trickeydave

trickeydave

Feb 13, 2009
    Hey Michael...

I'm new here, but saw your thread re: the Raven Labs MDB-1. I own one of these as well, and it's truly a great mixer.

I just recently started using it again with my guitar rig and was wondering if you knew if it had the ability to a/b with two amps and still use the aux send/aux in for effects (pedalboard). I'm wanting to set up a two-amp rig. I could always just buy an a/b/y box, but if the MDB can do it, then great.

Just thought I'd ask. It's difficult to find info on these anymore.

Thanks...Dave

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    PM replied to... sorry for the delay

12. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Friday bump

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wow really?

Again, I thought we had a deal... I am still waiting on your paypal address :confused:

14. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm closing this thread. If the MDB-1 isn't paid for and sold by Friday, I'll start a new FS thread and list it on eBay at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.