Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs MDB-1

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Jul 11, 2002.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I saw a price on Elderly Instruments (http://www.elderly.com) of $209.00 for this puppy. Is this a good price (I think it is)? Has anyone seen a better price?

thanks!

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I think that's pretty much the standard price. It's what I paid both BassNW and Bass Central for the 2 that I've had. It's also what Steve Barr is getting for one. I don't imagine you'll get a better price than from any one of those three.

GREAT unit, BTW...

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi all,

I'm new here, but thought I would chime in on the Raven Labs MDB-1. I just bought one from Club Bass in Toronto. I used it on 3 gigs this weekend:

1/ Jazz gig with upright.
    I have a K&K Bass Max on my 1880 French bass, and the Raven Labs unit brought out round low mids and softened the harshness of the piezo. Great to be able to blend in a mic as well. (With the upright I use my Woods amp with a CXL-110, but that may change when the new EA combo 12 comes out : )
    2/ Jewish Wedding
    I had my active four-string jazz type bass and my passive 6-string through my EA iAmp 600 and 2 CXL-110's. The MDB-1 matched the outputs from both basses. Great warm sound through the DI.
    3/ Brazilian Samba band
    Brought the 5-string fretless and again, loved the tone! Plugged my Boss SE-70 through the effects loop for reverb on solos. I like that I can tune silently, and bring the effects in and out so easily with the blend knob.

I would reccommend this box to doublers or electric players with more than one bass. It's really small, runs on batteries (no searching for extra plugs) or AC, and sounds great.

Cheers!
    Laurence Mollerup

4. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah I am a tripler usually (fretless, regular slab, and DB) so I *need* this thing, I am getting so annoyed with minor discrepancies between basses...

Thanks for the review, its appreciated. We just bought a new house, so when the repairs let up, i am getting one of these...

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I finally got it! I used at rehersal last night and the results were amazing! No more cranking up the K&K to get it equal with my Musicman, and everything sounds so much better...I've got two gigs this weekend, one jazz duo thing and one in the rawk band, so it should get put through its paces.

However, it did bring out an issue with my DB, the Eb on the D string is really loud, even if played super lightly. I don't know I can EQ it out or what, anyone seen this sort of thing? This isn't the dreaded wolf tone is it?

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    That's a little high for a "wolf tone" but I guess it really depends on your bass. The MDB-1 wouldn't be creating that effect -it has a flat frequency response. Try a parametric (maybe your amp has one) EQ, cutting at around 180 Hz, with a narrow Q. That should help the feedback you're getting. Best,
    Laurence

7. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, I will try that. I figured it was just a case of my bass sound coming through more fully now, and showing me a problem that always existed (I seem to remember getting a similar problem DI'ing directly into PA's before). Thanks!

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    BTW guys, I will eventually get around to trying the Bass SansAmp and Raven PMB-1 with the QSC. I've spent seven of the last eight days in the hospital, unexpected problems, which still continue, so I am buried in emails, phone calls, and orders, and am not at 100% and digging out is slow.

Thanks for your patience. Bob

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm sure we can all wait to hear the outcome of the amp testing in the face of something so much more important. Best wishes, and get well soon.

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    At long last I remembered to check this out. I used an Raven Labs PMB-1's 1/4" output jack into my stock QSC-2402. It drove it well, though as I suspected, the output is not as loud when compared to my rack-mounted Kern. I tested it with my Eminence EUB and with an acoustic/electric bass guitar

I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread, but the QSC PLX is not as sensitive as some power amps; Lord Valve and others offer an authorized mod that increases it, so the Raven could push the QSC to its full rated output.

I note from its specs that the MDB-1's output voltage is close to the PMB-1 (5v vs. 6v), but if someone wants me to test drive one, I have them in stock, too, and can break one out of its box.

11. Hey guys, I was looking at getting one of these as well, but I don't run a pre-amp/poweramp setup, I've got and Eden WT-400. I'm assuming I can't plug in the line out from the MDB-1 into the input, correct?

12. Thanks!