Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PBR-1 review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jock, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve had the PBR-1 installed a couple of days now and I really like it. The install was really simple and the instructions great. I´ve never had active electronics in a bass before and am quite sceptical about it. But this preamp sounds great. It does not change the sound of the P-bass it just enhances it. The lows become really fat without becoming boomy and you can dial in some really bright sounds. The thing I like the most is that with the tonecontrol set to the bass side it affects the whole frequency range. My D and G string never sounded this creamy fat.
    I love it. Might install a active/passive switch someday incase the battery dies on a gig. Also the pots are the smoothest Ive ever felt. Great turning resistance.

Here is a link for those who want to know what Im talking about:
    link

2. adolganov

adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    Where do you place the battery?

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are two flat and round batteries clipped in place under the pots.
    Really neat. No mods needed.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    When you have the tone open, or favoring the highs, does it do a frequency roll off of the lows like it does with the highs when the tone is rolled off?

5. adolganov

adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    Do you remove the pickguard to change them?

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, thats the only negative thing about this pre IMO.

Yes. The lows are rolled off a bit when you max the highs.