1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raven Labs PH-1 Adapter ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly robinson, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    HI all -
    I just received a Raven PH-1 and can't find any specs for the adapter they used in the later models . I even have a manual but that has no specs about the adapter . Anybody have one or know what I can use as a substitute - thanks very much , Kelly

2. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    I found a picture of the original adapter in an old ad here but it is confusing . The adapter specs as 9V 300Mil but the polarity is shown in a drawing of the male tip -subdivided into 3 sections back to front rather than the more commonly used form you see nowadays with the " c ' and then an arrow - open to one polarity or the other . This drawing shows 0V at back end of tip - midsection is + V and end near tip is Neg V . anybody know how to interpret this ? Also I am curious as the battery section is 18 V yet the adapter lists only 9 V - Thanks, Kelly

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This may very well use a custom supply, and it's possible that it's AC as well.

I will look to see what information I might have.

daveman50 and Kelly robinson like this.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Battery power is clean.

It was a custom power supply. Mini TRS plug, +9VDC, -9VDC, 300mA.

20A4BEA4-CD5F-4C2B-8E6C-207EA1D6B943.jpeg

C71BE51E-D1D9-4AF0-8D19-32428BE5615A.jpeg

5. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Thanks very much to both of you agedhorse and beans on toast . I called AZTECH here in Watertown , Ma and Tom there was great - offered to make one up if I supplied the parts . I expect that's what I'll end up doing but at the moment 9v batteries work very well and I have a stash to work thru - Kelly

wave rider and beans-on-toast like this.
  6. Kelly, you’ve laid out a decent bunch of change on a Raven Labs product. Just go and buy the proper power supply and be done with it. Owt else is false economy.

agedhorse likes this.
  7. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014

8. Call Raven Labs - they are bound to have the proper one and it’ll cost less than $70. If you are using a third party product any warranty you have from Raven Labs could well be void.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The company ceased to be in 2005 when the owner retired.

daveman50, emjazz and Kelly robinson like this.
  10. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Beans on Toast is correct yet again - there was a hand off to a repair person after the Raven Company ended but even that link has expired as of a year or two ago at least - according to folks who have tried to contact that person . It's not a complicated adapter to make once one understands how it was made . I know enough now to do it myself after talking with Tom the AZTECH repair guru in Watertown , Ma and with the info from Beans on Toast so I may just try that . It always seems that due to my low end budget requirements I often end up acquiring things very close to their end of life support by companies that were well regarded but not main stream enough to survive . I have a great E-MU 1820 m interface that is a perfect example of that . It is bricked due to lack of support once the company folded - I have tried and tried to keep it going and failed repeatedly . It was a really nice interface with great specs and functions too . Such is life in the poor lane !!! ... There is a great old East Indian saying - " pay a lot and cry once or pay a little and cry forever " Again though - many thanks to all who chimed in - Kelly

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Kelly robinson likes this.
  12. daveman50

daveman50

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    The guy who used to sell these was Mario Rebollero:
    M R Electronics
    10629 Collett Av
    Granada Hills CA 91344

I bought one from him in 2006 for $25. I can't believe it was that long ago.
    It's worth the effort, these are great units.

13. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Thanks AgedHorse and Daveman - I 'll check on that replacement one . As for the address - I'll give it a try too but have heard he is no longer responding to any requests - I read somewhere where someone found a phone no. but he was not interested or available several years ago but maybe that had to do with contacting him by a cold phone call . You never know with these occasionally , crotchety repair dudes of all types - who sometimes seem to prefer working on electronics or [ whatever specialty they have ] to dealing with people ... Andy obviously excepted !!! Don't forget too I live in the northeast where " crotchtyness " is really a fully , accepted and often revered part of the ethos - ..... Kelly

wave rider and agedhorse like this.
  14. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi agedhorse -
    So the difference is 12 v versus 9 v and the 500 mil amp output versus 300 mil one but that difference is less worrisome than the voltage issue ? Do I understand that correctly ? Your suggestion would certainly be a nice tidy package once wired up compared to bundling two 9 V ones together for sure . Again many thanks for taking the time to help out .... Kelly

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Hey Kelly, might be a stupid idea but it’s only words until you try...

One janky solution, until you get a proper replacement, could be to just use two 9v adapters wired in to the battery clips, 1 for each battery socket. It would be easy to match the polarity, cheap, totally reversible, and won’t violate the laws of physics.

Considering the rarity of that piece I wouldn’t go anywhere near voltages that don’t match up to the specifications.

16. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Great headphone amp, but as I recall, battery life is not very long, as with just about every headphone amp I've ever tried. Definitely would get the power adapter. Modern day equivalent, imho, is the PJ Bass Buddy.

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, correct.

Wiring 9V adapters in series may work, but often it won't work due to how the adapter SMPS works internally. This needs to be vetted on a case by case basis.

It's also easy to drop a few volts using a small circuit with a 5 watt 2.7V zener diodes in series with each output. They will get warm however, but not bad at the current draw of that unit.

ihixulu likes this.
  18. Dang! There goes another waste of good advice! :(

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    That makes sense. Not to hijack, but if you are willing... what you are saying seems to imply that not all DC is the same? Like, is there a difference on the output of SMPS generated DC from battery output? A current thing? i like science

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, it can depend on the architecture of the supply. Generally it's more of a problem with grounded power supplies but some supplies do not have the isolation that they appear to have.