Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PHA-1 problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Earlier this evening, while setting up for a little 'shedding, I plugged into my PHA-1. As I turned the volume up to about 25%, I noticed there was no sound coming from my headphones. I then increased the volume to varying levels up to 100%. The volume did not kick in until 100%. I tried using both High and Low inputs, but I got the same results.

Is there a simple fix for this probelm (i.e. trip to Radio Shack), or, should I send the PHA-1 in to get repaired?

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmm, my first guess would be a bad pot, it'll only cost a couple bucks to replace.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Are you using batteries?

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nope, I am using the AC adapter. I am going with my first theory (as well as Tim_x's) and I will replace the pot. Thanks for the replies.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    radio shack?!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

talk about taking a ferrari to moe, larry and curly's garage :p

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Could be the adapter. Is there a battery in the unit? It may be that the adapter cord has broken inside (this happens a lot), and your battery is nearly dead. First thing I'd do is change the battery and see if it works. If it does, I'd just get a new adapter at GC (Boss should work) or even Rat Shack.

7. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I never considered that because I always used the adapter. I popped in a couple of 9 volts and unfortunately, the problem persisted. Good idea, though. Thanks!

IvanMike:

Haha, I know. The fuse in my regular amp came from Radio Shack, so I will hope for the best. :)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm just bustin' on ya man............... :p

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    probably not the problem now but just for your information I had an unusual problem with my PHA1. Apparently the battery is the default power source even when the AC adaptor is used. I had lots of distortion that didn't go away until I removed the battery. I always use the AC adaptor and therefore didn't realize it was a dead battery problem. Had to pay a tech to find this out :oops:

10. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I know. :)

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had the same issue with mine

12. I have been told that the adapters for Raven labs stuff are pretty unique..... this is a response on another board to a question about a suitable replacement power adapter for my PHA-1......

"The PHA-1 [and other Raven Labs products] use a split 18V power supply. In other words it uses +9VDC and -9VDC to power it (note the two batteries necessary). The connector on the power supply is an 1/8" TRS to accommodate the Ground, +9 and -9 signals. The supply itself is a regulated (switching?) type supply. Without opening one up and determining what it is I couldn't say. Suffice to say, it's not a standard off-the-shelf replacement item. "

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Also because of the split 18v power supply and TRS style plug, do not ever unplug the adapter cord from the unit while its still plugged into the wall. Do that two or three times and you will have a dead adapter.