Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PHA-1 standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Does anyone use the PHA-1 as their main pre? Is it powerful enough to drive a 1,000w power amp? If not 1000, 600?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive tried it with my PLX 2402 but it cant drive the amp to full output. That may not be the case with other power amps though. It sounds good but I personally would only use it for a backup. The PMB II is a much better preamp if you can find one. It has a higher output level.

3. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I use it with a QSC USA 850.

Pedro

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the replies. Just for reference, I am thinking about the Carvin DCM 1000 or DCM 600 (leaning towards this one more.) Either would be running bridged mono at 4 ohms.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You could call Steve Rabe with an input sensitivity value for the power amp you want to use and he should be able to tell you if the PHA has adequate output levels to drive it.

6. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

:eyebrow:

The PHA-1 has an output of 3.2 V Rms and the PLX has an input sensitivity of 1.5V Rms.
    I can put the power amp into clipping with the raven; therefore it can drive the amp to full output

Pedro

7. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Ok, just did that.

Both the DCM 1000 and DCM 600 have a sensitivity rating of 1V.

8. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I received a response to my email which I sent to Raven Labs. It stated:

My FBB has the Bartolini 9V NTMB pre installed. The bass has a very hot output that was achieved with only a 1/4 turn of the internal trim pot. To me, when factored in with the sensitivity ratings, the PHA-1 should be able to drive the DCM 600. Does this sound correct?