Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PHA-1/SWR Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I love my Raven Labs PHA-1 for at home practicing. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones and love what I hear. I wish I could get that same sound through my SWR heads and cabinets. Am I silly to think this is possible? I thought I read something some time ago regarding headphone comparison verses free standing speakers and the physics, math and all that "way over my head" stuff. You really can't compare the two............or can you?
    B.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Have you tried to run your PHA-1 though the line-in on your head? I run my PHA through the line in on my head, and the sound I get from my speakers is almost exactly what I get through my headphones.

3. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Jason,

I have not tried that. I guess I was hoping to achieve a very similar PHA sound through my SWR gear on its own - thinking that Steve also designed it. Shouldn't there be some common ground or is this an apple/orange comparison?

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    There definitely is some common ground. I used to own a Super Redhead, and the PHA achieves a very similar tone. The PHA however, seems to raise the bar in the areas of clarity and output power.

5. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Jason,

I'm thinking the same thing. I know that Raven Labs put out a pre amp and if it sounded just like the PHA-1 I would have loved to grabbed one before they closed the door. I hope Steve Rabe is enjoying his golf game - then again, if he isn't, perhaps he'll begin making products again!

B.

6. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That would be great!

7. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    If there is one single piece of gear I own that has paid for itself more times than I can count, it would be the PHA-1. This little box has helped me learn so many songs and allowed me to play for hours while bothering no one. I wonder if Steve Rabe will ever get the itch to fire up the soldering iron again?