Raven Labs PHA-1

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by EvoMan, Sep 13, 2004.

1. I just purchased one of these from a fellow TBer and I somehow have now ended up with two due to miscommunication with a helpful brother (I told him to look for one for me in the US since I am in the UK right now - I didn't think he would find one so quickly - yipes).

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was any interest in a PHA-1. I will either sell the one I got here, for what I paid, which is $145 with shipping (still waiting for that one to arrive) or the one that my brother got, which is pretty much new. I would rather keep the one I got here, since I would like to recoup more money for the newer one. The price on the latter is TBD and I would consider offers.

I can either deliver in the US or UK, both for the cost of local shipping since I will be in the US in a couple of weeks and can either ship one while I am there, or I can bring one back and ship it here.

Let me know if you are interested.

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I have no. idea. how. I. would. live. without. my. PHA-1.

It's the best bass headphone amp ever. Wait, no, it's a premium preamp. Wait, no, it's the hub of my rehearsal station. Whatever the logistics, these are now discontinued with the retirement of Steve Rabe. There will be no more.

3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I'll take it if you can tell me it's more worth it than a tascam basstrainer.

4. I have nothing against the Tascam CD-BT1 and will probably buy one when I am in the U.S. this month - for those times when I want to play with a CD etc. They certainly are cheap and do a lot for $150. But for good sound quality, there is really no comparison, given that the Raven Labs sounds fantastic! At $220 new and with these no longer being made, and sold out almost everywhere, it is deifnitely a good deal buying one of these used ones!

There are also not a lot of comparable products out there. I had a Fodera Private Practice Amp, which sounded great, but I didn't want to use it with a new transformer, so I need something that takes batteries like the Raven Labs model. The Fodera has gotten even more expensive, and now lists for $400 and sells for around $270! For a little box! Well, it did sound great...
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I use both together, actually.

The BT-1 is worth the dough because of its ability to slow down tracks without changing pitch. So for that, it's great. However, you can't hear your bass very well because of limited volume from the relatively poor-quality, hiss-afflicted digital preamp.

The PHA-1 is superior sound quality--sounds just like a boutique bass amp through the headphones.

SO, i run the BT-1 into the CD input of the PHA-1 and get the best of both worlds. PLUS, the PHA-1 goes into the gig bag as a backup preamp.
  6. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Thanks Phunker, that was some big knowledge you kicked down to me. Makes perfect sense having the BT-1 feed into the PHA for a great sound during practice. After all, great tone does make you practice more and more.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Evoman...interested in swapping for a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp? Mint condition. I have the pedal version and use it all the time. Original box.

Is the PHA-1 240volt?
  8. Thanks for asking, but I don't need a preamp. The PHA-1 has an optional AC adapted from Raven Labs that runs off of 110. Steve Barr, who is/was a Raven Labs retailer has some of the AC adapters. I will use the two 9v batteries since I hate to be wired in when playing through a practice amp (this is the primary reason I didn't like Fodera's headphone amp - no battery option). Like most DC units, you can always buy a generic AC to DC transformer.
  9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Bassnw.com also has a few AC adapters for Raven Labs gear.

I can't emphasize enough the astonishing difference in fidelity and volume between the PHA-1 and everything else on the market.
  10. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Another fantastic headphone practice amp that always travels with me is the Walter Cafe HA-1. No frills, no A/C, but an incredible pure sound. Steve at the DudePit sells these also.
  11. pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    No you can't. It needs a transformer with 3 leads: +9V/-9V/0V
  12. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Could the Tascam be run through the Walter Cafe HA-1 also?
  13. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm quite interested in this - does it come with the headphones that they sell with?
  14. edit... Not sold, apparently the deal fell through, Gabe got one from a family member and is no longer going to buy one from me.
  15. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I've got both as well, and do the same thing for the same reasons.

My only gripe about the BT-1 is the non-intuitive user interface. The GT-1 was the same way. Anyway, I'd still rather have it than "not".
  16. Still available - sale fell through. If you are interested, please contact me ASAP since I will be on the road at the end of the week.

17. BUMP:

I have an offer from a European buyer but would prefer a US buyer so I don't have to bring it back to England with me. If you are interested, contact me by Wednesday or else I will close the deal with the European buyer.

Thanks for your interest.

18. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    One last kick at it. No reply necessary unless interested.

I'm in London next Tuesday (28th) for a meeting out at Heathrow. If remotely interested in swapping for the Sadowsky (I know you answered already)...the option is there for a no-shipping-cost deal.