Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PMB-1 as a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Hi there,
    Anybody out there using a Raven Labs PMB-1 as a stand alone preamp for electric bass? Curious how it stands up to other dedicated preamps and if it's got enough output to drive most power amps effectively. Thanks

Scott

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I tried that, but for my taste the Raven pre is a little thin (bright etc) sounding compared to a regular preamp. Of course, if you're going for the totally "transparent" and "airy" thing it works great!

(this is compared to an AI Clarus)

But truly, it's not a bad choice.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've tried using my PMB-1 to drive the power amp on my Eden WT-400. With the gain and master on the Raven maxed, it puts out enough juice to drive the Eden to healthy levels but if I were to use it for this purpose on a regular basis I'd want another gain stage (eq, compressor) in there. YMMV depending on the input sensitivity of the amp it's feeding.

The PMB-1 is better suited to driving the front end of an amp or mixer and does a great job in this capacity. As Vanselus note the preamp is very transparent and neutral-which I find to be an advantage. If you're interested I'm planning on selling my PMB-1 which is in mint condition with power supply.