Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

raven labs preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jul 17, 2002.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive seen the raven labs Pbass preamp on bass nw a few times, but i never talked to anyone that has one. Im wondering if they sound any good. Id like to get an essex pbass and drop one of these in and maybe a SD or sumthing else p pickup. If anyone has listened to these or has one could they hit me up please.

2. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I have one and like it very much. :)

First and foremost, it doesn't colour the P bass tone. It keeps it true. When you turn the tone knob for more highend it doesn't "thin-out" (loss of lowend) like a typical passive tone control. Likewise, when you turn the tone knob for more lowend it doesn't "mud-up" (loss of highend) like a typical passive tone control. The fundamental is still there in all it's glory, but the brightness increases when you turn it up and the deepness increases when you turn it down. It does tighten up the bottom and the top without giving you a "modern" sound IMO. It also has alot of output. You have to watch the level going into your rigs input, so as not to "clip" it. All-in-all this is a great preamp IMNSHO. :p