Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs True Blue EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Anyone use one of these? I want to find a good eq to run in front of an Avalon U5 that won't color or degrade the sound too much. I am thinking about getting an aguilar OBP-3 and putting it in a box but would prefer to use something that is already assembled. Any suggestions. I have used ashly and RAne eq's. I prefer semi- parametric to fully parametric eq's by the way and also find that graphic eq's tend to degrade my tone quite a bit.

2. Just curious on why you would use the U5 as a preamp and then add the extra stuff. Have you tried other preamps that are manufactured specifically for bass and not liked them. I played out of a U5 recently. Wonderful direct box, but IMO, not that impressive as a stand-alone preamp... with the presets being too extreme IMO to be useful.

Not bashing... please don't take my question the wrong way... just curious :)

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The True Blue is an excellent EQ, and IMHO would serve you far better than an OBP-3 in a box. But as to Ken's point, why wouldn't you just want to get a preamp with some EQ? The U5 is very nice (I own one), but not any better (again, IMHO) than a nice preamp with good EQ (like a DB 680 or Navigator, or a host of other preamps).

Tom.

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, I love the U5 but wish that I could just add alittle low mid and treble to it without altering it's amazing tone. I Play an Aguilar AG500 but have owned almost every other preamp on the market. The avalon just seems to have a certain something. I actually prefer it to some of the nicer preamps that I have owned like the DB680, Read Purity, The Low End tube preamp (can't remember the name of it right now), etc. It was just very nice. I can't see buying there full preamp though, just for the little eq that I need.

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    By the way, I prefere the U5 into a bass rig and not a p.a.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In that case, then either a bass with a good onboard EQ (I prefer the East preamp, if you want control over low mids) or the Raven Labs True Blue might be the way to go.

Tom.

7. +1 Also, Mike Pope makes a four band version of his on-board preamp (similar to the three band Fodera circuit) that is quite nice... with two switchable mid controls... and you can pick the center frequencies if you want. It has a passive tone control and active/passive switch. I have this preamp in my Stambaugh and it's very nice... quiet, warm and mellow. It is a very 'transparent' preamp that, given your liking of the U5, would probably really fit with the sound you are looking for. If interested, you can contact Mike through his website... he is very responsive and you will probably hear back from him in a few days.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks guys, I just ordered a true blue eq from a store that had one in stock.

9. Great that you found one of those, since they are out of production. I hope it works out well :bassist:

10. +1
    I had used the True Blue together with an MDB-1 and a Stewart PA as my main rig for several years. I didn't use the EQ much but when I did it was sweet and musical. Nowadays I use it mostly with acoustic instruments and it works wonders. Also since it has balanced capabilities I have used it for live sound and recordings, too.

The coolest feature besides being able to run on batteries is that the Q settings change depending on whether you boost or cut. When you boost the Q is lower, making a wider bell and affecting nearby frequencies. Conversely, when you cut the Q is higher, only affecting the frequency you want and not messing with nearby freqs too much.

Good snag and enjoy your new toy! :bassist:

11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Im trying to land another Avalon u5 to run after it. Damn I love gear!

12. I just noticed the way you worded your post as running the EQ before the U5. I'm not sure if you know this but the EQ runs at line-level so you won't be able to just plug your bass into the EQ. Check this out. This is taken directly from the Raven Labs site:

"When using the True Blue EQ, first decide the best location in the signal path of your system. If used with a musical instrument, such as a guitar or bass, it should be placed either in the Effects Loop of your amplifier, or between the preamplifier and power amplifier. Since the input impedance of the True Blue EQ is relatively low (40K ohms), you should not plug your instrument directly into the EQ. This could cause a loss of highs with a magnetic pickup, or loss of lows with a piezo type pickup. Keyboards, or other musical instruments with on-board preamps or buffers can be inserted directly into the True Blue. If in doubt, always check with the manufacturer of your instrument."

I can't believe I didn't say something at first. I think I assumed you would run it on an effects loop or something. Well, that's more to think about, anyway. Even though my main bass has a Pope preamp on board, I haven't gotten good results plugging straight in.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So don't use the presets.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Which store?

15. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks alot for the advice. My bass is a passive billy sheehan attitude. I will run the eq after the avalon. I bought the eq from a store in watertown NY. It had been there for a long time and I had been wanting to get it for a long time. I was recently driving by that town and picked it up. I have beentrying to get a u5 off e-bay for awhile but they are really popular right now and everyone is bidding high. I should have the one by next week though. I would't buy anew one unless is had the blue lights and those are out of stock right now. Anyone have one for sale? I'm almost glad that I have to run the u5 first in line. I do not use the tone knob at all.

16. Again, not bashing :) Just didn't hear what other people are hearing... that's what makes the world go round!

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a little late to the party,

but i've been using a TBEQ w/ my DB359, and so far, i'm really digging it. the RL stuff is mostly voiced for acoustic instruments, so its a bit subtle, but crank it enough, and it'll do its job regardless of the stage's sonic mess. really brought new life to the ol' tube monster.

and hey, a little EQ'ing even w/ my U5 aint so bad. sometimes, you need that flexibility in boomier rooms. and being able to shape only your "bass" tone, w/o interference would be pretty nice w/ the TBEQ + U5 setup.

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Right you are! The U5 is awsome at home but some rooms need to be eq'd. Im not familiar with the eq that you are suggesting. Anymoire info?

19. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Man am I slow! TBEQ is shorthand! :p

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Ok. I got the eq last night. At first I did not really care for it but, decided to give it a good workout. After I read the manual and tried it some more, I started to see how great this little unit can be. Of course, my new Avalon U5 is on the way and I'll have to wait and see how they work together. A rig really is a sum of it's parts. Some gear just works together and some doesn't. I'll keep everyone informed.