Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs True Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jul 18, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've been considering one of these, because I have a birthday coming up, and a dad without any clue of what present to get me... And it'd be another toy for me.

Any comments on the sound?

And another thing I was wondering... Would this
    EQ work with a power amp?

I'm not too familiar with the EQ thing... so I'm kinda
    confused as to if it's an EQ to hook into another head for further EQing or if it's able to run with a power amp?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You wanter further EQing on a five-band semi-parametric EQ? Bizarre. Somebody over on the now-ersatz Lakland forum was a big proponent of 31-band graphic EQ. You could run the parametric through that, I suppose.

You probably could use the Raven as a pre-amp to a power amp, and get just about any tone imaginable from it, given that there are an infinite number of settings possible. You'd better set aside a few months of diddle time to figure out your favortite settings. That's all.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No... What I intend on doing is hooking it up with my firebass so I can fiddle with my settings more... Just fine-tune things... And maybe then later hook it up to to a poweramp and just go by that... depending on how well it works alone and how well it works with my firebass...

I never suggested the True Blue needing more EQing capabilities.

4. That's what Munji's talking about. The True Blue has a five band semi-parametric EQ, to which you want to add the EQ on your Peavey. He's trying to tell you nicely that you'll end up with a big old mess of sound. You'll be better either sticking with the EQ on your Peavey or ditching it for the True Blue and a power amp. Or you could use it with your Peavey and just leave everything flat on the amp I guess.

It could be cool to have for recording purposes though.