Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

raven labs usip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 14, 2002.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    any of you guys try one of these out yet? i was thinking about getting over to bass nw to test drive one. what do you guys and gals think?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I inquired about it through this local luthier

Woodsongs Lutherie
    Boulder, CO
    (303) 449-0550

and I was told that they returned all of the units that they had in there inventory back to Raven Labs. They complained that they were too noisy. Not much bass related stuff at this luthier. They primarily deal in acoustic instruments. Maybe it just doesn't work well with acoustics.

maxvalentino seemed to know a little bit about it. He might be the person to ask. If you do happen to go and try it, let me know what you think about it. I'm not much of an SWR person and since Steve Rabe makes the USIP, there will probably be some similarities in tone.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    On the contrary I've heard from several acoustic guitarists who really dig them (including at least one luthier). Haven't heard anyone talk about using it with bass yet but I've been wondering as well how that would work out as a bass preamp.

brad cook

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It sounds like a great pre for upright. It seems like a master blender, the headphone amp, and the true blue eq all in one.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's funny how something can be a great option for one person/group, while others just don't seem to approve of the same option. :)

I've never touched one. I was just trying to find one to try locally and the above response is what I got. I'd still like to try it for myself.