1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Raven Labs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghoulbug, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Hey everyone.
    I have the chance to buy one of these:

[​IMG]

A Raven Labs True Blue EQ.

I have their PHA-1 preamp, and it's pretty good but I could definitely use some more tonal options.
    I'll be needing it for a passive Lakland DJ, and I was wondering if I could - gulp - get close to a crisp Marcus Miller tone with one.

I had been considering a J-retro onboard, of course, but got scared of the idea of modding my bass. I don't have the luxury of constantly modding, selling, or trying out gear anymore, so I'm going to need to be certain about this. And am I right in thinking that an outboard Retro would not provide the same tone as the onboard?

btw, I won't be gigging anytime soon, so a full-blown amp is out of the question.

I guess it really comes down to the Raven Labs EQ, or another outboard pre if that's not powerful enough.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's very powerful but also crystal clear. It will add some snap and sizzle for sure but if there isn't a lot of Marcus tone to your bass as it is, this might not be the best example.

I think it would make a 70's style jazz bass sound closer to a MM jazz than a DJ. Although a DJ is a great example of a jazz bass, it doesn't nail the 70's tone IME without the 70's p-up placement.

3. Thanks for the input!
    Good to hear it's powerful enough. I guess I can't really cop Marcus's tone, but I'd like to add some of his flair to my DJ.
    I guess with the True Blue, I'd still be "passive?" Here's hoping I don't need to go active to be close!

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It has active boost and passive cut. I believe it has a wider Q for boost and a more narrow Q for cutting to really pinpoint areas that cause feedback, wolf-tones, etc. great for boosting certain freq's to take out deadspots, etc. it will go high enough to get you some sizzle and boost up some low mids to punch but I think you'd get further witha maple necked jazz with 70's placement and a perhaps a Sadowsky setup.

Not saying you can't with a TBEQ but it won't be exact (not that even a Fender MM sig would be) and it will be more the fault of the bass's p-up placement (or possibly the hands of the player) than the TBEQ, IMO.

5. Alright, cool. That's mighty reassuring and helpful, Big Joe. I mean it when I say THANKS. :)
    The "shortcoming" of the 60's placement was something I was prepared to accept when I got the DJ. I'll be happy to simply get my current gear as close as I can get to Marcus's!

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not a problem. both nice pieces of gear... Enjoy! :smug:

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have heard that Raven Labs products may be resurrected! :)

8. Huh? Really?
    Source please! :eek:

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    should be really close to the swr mr tone semi parametric eq (an utra rare find). i'd get it.

10. Nice~!
    Being rare is one of the reasons I find myself pulled towards the Raven Labs gear. Doesn't really make sense, considering how scarcity does not = quality, and how much of a PITA it was to get my pha-1. Fortunately for me, the turn out to be great!

I've heard the True Blue EQ is "a direct descendant" of the Mr. Tone. I guess I should really pull the trigger on this one!