1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Raven Roadie 50 - bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaoticjelly, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chaoticjelly

chaoticjelly

Feb 27, 2008
    UK
    Hey guys,

I don't know a great deal about electric bass, but I picked up a "Raven Roadie 50". I think it is a bass guitar amplifier/speaker combo, but please would someone confirm this?

I looked up the speaker (Rola Celestion G15-100) and it came up on google as a bass speaker. I think this is bigger than normal guitar speakers ? 15" as opposed to 12" for normal speakers (?)

I couldn't find any information on the net about it, is this a very obscure model?

I was also wondering if someone could recommend a bass guitar for a beginner (brand, model number), money wise I can spend a reasonable amount, but I would like something that will hold its value well, it also needs to be available in the UK (I dont know if we have all models of bass guitars over here..)

Some pics of the Raven Roadie 50:

raven_roadie50_1.

raven_roadie50_9.

raven_roadie50_11.

raven_roadie50_12.

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

2. chaoticjelly

chaoticjelly

Feb 27, 2008
    UK
    Anyone any ideas? :)

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My only idea is that an open-back speaker is problematic for bass, because it is easy to drive the speaker to over-excursion. What I don't know is if it's possible to do any damage at 50 W.

Closing the back would be a worthy experiment except if the amp needs an open back for ventilation. Finding out where the power transistors are located might be advisable before experimenting. This is not how one would design a speaker from scratch, but we are talking about making the best of what we have.

I like entry level Ibanez basses. Fenders are good too. As part of the "starter package" for bassists should be Dan Erlewine's book on guitar repair, because of the detailed setup instructions.

Also... welcome to bass playing and welcome to TalkBass!