Raw alder jazz bass body weight

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassdog, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    What do you guys think about 4.71 lbs for a raw piece? I'm looking to put together a jazz that is on the lighter side of things when all done. Neck is factory Mex. J neck with standard tuners. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

2. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Depends on how big and thick the slab is. If it's just bigger than the body you will cut out of it - it'll be ok weight-wise but not especially light. What type of wood is it?

3. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    It's an alder unfinished Jazz bass body.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Sub 4 lb is silly light so 4.7 is pretty light for a Jazz

bassdog likes this.
  5. Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    bassdog likes this.
  6. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    As I contemplate spending slim funds, I think what I really want to do is a P body routed for J pups. Anybody know when to do that on the cheapish side? Can't afford Warmoth or similar others.

7. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Keim Hardwoods sells an appropriate sized 3-piece alder blank for around $38, shipping will probably tack on another 15 or so.

8. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If this helps. I recently built a P Bass and the body was 4 lbs 5 oz. I ended up with an exact 8 lbs P Bass. Now, I also used Gotoh Res O Lite tuners which are about 5 oz lighter than the AVRI tuners. So, if I would have used the standard tuners, the bass would have been 8 lbs. 5 oz.

The J Bass has 2 pickups (duh) and those weight about 4 oz each. So, I'm guessing that your 4.71 lbs (4 lbs 11.36 oz) body is gonna get you an about 8 lbs 10 oz bass with the Res O Lites and about 8 lbs 15 oz with AVRI tuners.

That's my ball park figure.

(When I build basses, a 5 lbs body is the limit!)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Honkey tonk likes this.
  9. Find the cheapest P Bass body and route the J pockets. The pickguard will cover the holes from the P.

Unfinished P-bass Style Body

10. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hmmm. Interesting idea. Maybe I could mangle, I mean modify a PJ to accommodate a J pup in the neck position. Would the neck pup position be correct for a J? Anybody have experience with this approach?

11. Taking some drawings of a J and a P from Fender, if I didn't mess up this is where a set of Js would layout on a P Bass.

And yes, if you search you should be able to find some threads of people doing it before. It has been done a lot.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.06.26 AM.png

T. Brookins and bassdog like this.
  12. If you get a PJ it's common for the bridge pickup to get pushed closer to the bridge as it looks better when it's half way between the bridge and pickguard. Do you know if you want the '70s position?

bassdog likes this.
  13. And just for fun here's where an MM fits into things.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.15.34 AM.png

T. Brookins and bassdog like this.
  14. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I did a little research and measuring. My current J and PJ appear to be 60's. The Mex. factory J body bridge pup is 31 1/8 in. from the nut to front pup edge. My PJ body, which was made by a third party (Bhefner) is about 1/16 to 1/32 different. Clearly 60's position. That's what I want. Then what to do about a pick guard that accommodates the J neck pup and the Precision bass control cavity?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  15. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'm frustrated that the body I like by Hosco (4.7 lbs) does not route the bridge pup to be larger than the neck pup that my Aguilar 4J-60 set requires. :-(