Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray 5 + P

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jason Hale, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Would it be possible to install a 5 string precision pickup in my stingray 5? I know it would be but would the MM pickup be in the way of it's proper location?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There really is no "proper" place for a P pickup in a Stingray 5 in any event. I personally don't understand why you would even want to try -yeah, it would be a different flavor for sure, but more akin to a spoonful of puppy poop into an otherwise rockin cup of mocha latte. You'll destroy the resale value of your bass in the process. If the Ray5 isn't doing it for you, then you should IMO sell it and buy another bass, but that's just me.

If you don't mind sacrificing your bass for experimentation's sake, then by all means, carve away, and put the P pickup anywhere you like since there's no "proper" place.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    To answer to question as I think you meant it, the normal position of a P pup interferes with the normal position of a MM pup. They overlap. I state this not from having figured it out myself, but from quoting bwbass from Warmoth, who has been asked this a few times. You can search threads to find his first-hand answer.

4. Thanks for the info. I have decided against it. I am on a big Fender (Precision) kick right now but I can't find a 5 string Fender that plays as fast as my Ray for those fast passages in higher registers the Fender just don't cut it. But you can't beat it for just laying down a solid groove. Maybe I should just replace the pickup and preamp with a Basslines and see how I like it then. I'd love to try a Fender USA P V.

5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Try removing the preamp and switch and hard wiring the pickup coils in series, passively to a 250K volume pot, perhaps also a tone pot.

You wont be sorry.

6. how about a soapbar split-coil humbucker placed where the 2 halves of a P pickup touch?
    -Bartolini, maybe?