Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray Brown Died

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Jul 3, 2002.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm absolutely stunned. Ray seemed to have such a passion for life and music. Rest in peace Ray.

[​IMG]

2. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Goodness! Who else will be gone before this week has come to an end?:(

Oh well. Rest in peace, Ray.
    You are the ruler by which all other jazz bassists will be measured, ever. Thanks for everything!

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    What a sad month for bassists. First Dee Dee, then the Ox, now it's Ray Brown and Rocco Prestia is very ill. The bass community truly has lost some greats. Very very sad indeed.

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i saw the ray brown trio play in chicago a few years back. after the show, i had ray sign a CD and talked with him for about 10 minutes. he was a beautiful man and an unbelievable bass player.

:(

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    One of the greats. RIP.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My greatest influence. One of the worlds most important musical figures. I only had the chance to speak to him once. I will never forget him. Where every you are, thanks for all of the music. Rest in Piece.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I must admit I didn't really know about very much of his work, but it's always a shame when someone with his undoubted ability passes away. Rest in peace, Ray. :(

8. unbelievable...another legend has passed. I wish I had gotten to see him live.

9. Jeez...who's next?! One right on top of the freakin' other.... :(

10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    This is creepy. I don't like this. RIP to all of these great players. We're pulling for you Rocco. I hope you can recover fully!:confused:

11. Wasn't Ray the bass player in residence on the old Merv Griffin show? My first attempts at a walking line were with one of his books.

Take it easy, Ray.

Mike J.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Didn't I read here recently that Anthony Jackson is in poor health? :(

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i just saw him play a month or two ago. So sad. :(
    RIP Ray.

14. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm so glad I got to see him play (several different occasions actually).

What a fantastic player. I can't remember how many of his bass lines I had to transcribe for my lessons over the years.

RIP Ray, you were a giant.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :( :( :( :( :(

16. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    This is a terrible week for bassists...

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Don't even ask, man.

Maybe this way people will start appreciating bassists for a change.

Man, what a lousy week.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    YES!
    I used to get home from school & watch this show just to catch a glimpse...& Merv actually featured Ray A LOT!
    One time, it was a Brown/Griffin duet...Ray begins walking while Merv is 'singing'(?) the words. Merv looks a little confused & asks "Are we doing the same song"? Ray just smiled & nodded "Yes".

And Brown played a sunburst P-bass on that show...nice tone on the electric bass, too.

RIP, Ray.