Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray Brown is coming soon.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Next week I'll be heading to the Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis to check out the Ray Brown trio. I've seen various incarnations of his trio numerous times, and it always amazes me how tight his groups always are. Years ago, I saw him with the Gene Harris/Jeff Hamilton trio, and they blew me away. Later, I caught him with Jeff Keyser and some drummer who looked to be about 12, and they were fantastic.

At that last show, they played a medium/up tune that got kind of "out there" (for Ray), after which he wiped his forehead with a handkerchief and announced, "Man, I'm getting too OLD to keep up with these young guys..."...at which point, he took a deep breath, and then launched into an amazing version of CHEROKEE at about Q=320. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of positive FEELGOOD energy this guy has on stage, especially considering his age. Astounding.

Anybody got any good Ray stories to share?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I was really fortunate when Ray Brown came to Norman to play at OU. I got off work late and drove as fast as I could get and got in a long line. I heard the ticket window say they sold out the floor and they were selling balcony only. Feeling a little despondant about sitting so far away, I was standing by myself (the wife was working) when this lady comes up to me and asks if I wanted a ticket. She had won some in a radio contest and had an extra. Wouldn't even take any money. I walked in and my seat was center stage and close enough to see the sweat on Benny Green's forehead trying to keep up with Ray on a medley of Bird tunes he did. The kicker was meeting him after the show when he signed an lp I have called "Poll Winners: Shelley Manne, Barney Kessell, and Ray Brown". He looked at me kind of funny (might be that I still had the hair from my embarassing days as a heavy metal guitarist) and said "Man, I can't even remember this one!" Not surprising, considering he was only on something like 2000 albums at the time........

Monte

3. Chris,

What are the dates for Ray in Indy? I will be there next week myself and it would be great to make a performance.

Mark

4. Told to me by David Gage:
    Ray was at an ISB convention. A guy talked to Ray, had a technical question, and Ray said to come by his hotel room the next morning around 7:30. The next morning, the guy is coming down the hall, and hears Ray practicing......bowed scales, just like our teachers are relentlessly telling us to do.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He's playing Aug. 13th and 14th, which is a Monday & Tuesday. Tickets are $20. Last show I saw there was Brad Mehldau trio...We showed up about 2 hrs early, got the front table (which was practically ON the stage), and had a nice long leisurely dinner before the show. They normally sell tickets to 2 shows, but I've found that if you go to the first one and the 2nd one doesn't sell out, they let you stay without charging for the second one. I'll be going on Tuesday, so let me know if you plan to go - I've not yet met any Talkbass folks in person yet.

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Chris,

Was Larry Grenadier his bassist? I have really dug his playing lately, especially his big sound.

Monte

7. Chris,

Unfortunately, I will not be in Indy until the 16th. I will be spending the weekend in Cincinnati and back through Indy the 19th or 20th. Have a good time. I'm sure it will be worth the drive.

Mark

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, he was with Grenadier and Jorge Rossy (sp?), who quite surprisingly turned out to be an AL BUNDY lookalike. It was a fantastic show, and the atmosphere there was perfect. I love bassists like Grenadier and Drew Gress, who make it a point to be both brilliant and inconspicuous at the same time - they just become a part of the music. I'd go see those guys again in a heartbeat.

Mark - sorry I'll miss you, and sorry you'll miss Ray. One of these days, I'm going to actually MEET a Talkbass person...