Ray Brown - Legendary Jazz Bassist

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 13, 2015.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Ray Brown – Legendary Jazz Bassist by Matthew Rybicki is a comprehensive tribute to this jazz master, featuring 18 transcriptions, performance notes, photos, and a foreword by Christian McBride. Songs include: Autumn in New York · Custard Puff · Days of Wine and Roses · Easy Does It · Gravy Waltz · Have You Met Miss Jones? · How High the Moon
    · I'm an Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande) · I'm Glad There Is You (In This World of Ordinary People) · Killer Joe · Love Is Here to Stay · Mack the Knife · Minor Mystery · Moten Swing · Night Train · Sometimes I'm Happy · The Surrey with the Fringe on Top · Tune Up.
    This Artist Transcriptions book should be in stock by the first week of February.

00672573.jpg

thabassmon, Jnagol, pnchad and 3 others like this.
  2. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey, that's me! :) This should be in stock in a couple weeks, max.

3. Hey Matthew, I just have a question about this (thinking of ordering it)...

Does it list which albums the transcriptions are drawn from so we're easily able to find the transcribed recordings to play along to?

4. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey Matthew, yes indeed. Each song has the album it's taken from, including the unique record/Cd code (at least for the album I took them from)

Jnagol and Matthew_84 like this.
  5. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Jnagol likes this.
  6. Izzy Crosby

Izzy Crosby

Oct 31, 2018
    Near Hartford
    Does anybody have a take on what level musician will be able to use this book? Probably not for beginners. What say you? I can get the kindle edition.

7. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey there - there are a fair number of the transcriptions that are very approachable for beginners. A couple that are definitely not.

Despite being the author, I'd actually recommend something different maybe, depending on what you're trying to do/learn.

For example, you should learn something(s) of Ray's by yourself! It's often hard, but it will be so helpful! Good luck and let me know if more questions

8. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Congratulations on your book it looks great, a really nice pic of Ray Brown and a nice overall colour for the cover. I've often thought about doing something very similar with my favourite double bass players (that includes Ray Brown of course). Are all the hard copies (actual as opposed to e-books) sold out?

9. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thanks very much! No, hard copies definitely available in lots of places

thabassmon likes this.
  10. Izzy Crosby

Izzy Crosby

Oct 31, 2018
    Near Hartford
    Yes. It’s an attractive book with plenty of transcriptions - some more challenging than others. It’s a great buy and a real good move to use kindles etc. for sheet music. And I am fortunate to have gotten some helpful input from the author. Very helpful. My thanks go out to him.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021