1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ray Brown "Night Train" analysis

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by powerbass, Nov 5, 2010.

1. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Has anyone seen "From The Bottom Up: Night Train Ray Brown Bass Line and Solo Methods, Analysis, Function, and Context"
    By Robert Sabin? I just received a copy of this and wondered if others have checked it out? It is a great Ray Brown study. This is a 74 page thesis on Ray Brown's playing. Robert Sabin has other interesting bass studies available for download on his website. Thank you Robert if you're out there on TB http://www.ranulamusic.com/live/

2. William Hoffman

William Hoffman Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Lodi, California
    that is so cool that Robert Sabin posted his analysis. few bass lines have been more significant to my development as a bassist than Ray Brown's on Night Train with Oscar Peterson. thanks for the tip. i've downloaded it. may take a while to read it all, but it is so interesting!

there is also a transcription of Percy Heath's bass line on Walkin' which looks very good.

3. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I also downloaded the transcription of Percy Heath as well as a Larry Grenadier transcription on Solar, both look excellent

4. Hey Powerbass-

Thanks for the interest! Send me a PM and I'll forward the transcription to you (anyone else can feel free to email me also). I would post it but the writing is def. below what I would put out now as it was done in a bit of a hurry.

Thanks!
    Robert

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Very cool! Im looking forward to read this. Thanks a lot Robert.

6. If anyone else is interested I've posted this stuff in the "downloads" section of my website. Thanks for the interest!

www.robertsabinbass.com