1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ray Brown Plays Teen Town!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is so goofy! Too bad it isn’t real. I am sure the great Ray Brown would have crushed it if he had wanted to play it.

2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

That video took a lot of work, pretty impressive. Ray Brown was one of the studio musicians for the TV show on which I worked as a production assistant and road manager in the early seventies, "Johnny Mann's Stand Up and Cheer" along with other members of the Wrecking Crew, including Tommy Tedesco, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Paul Smith, plus Monty Budwig, Chick Corea, Frankie Capp, Tommy Vig, Willie Schwartz and many others.

cdef, faulknersj, Winoman and 7 others like this.
  3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    That was excellent. Kudos to whomever put that together.

Bulltrout and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I could have sworn that I used to see Tommy Tedesco on Carson regularly with the Doc Severenson Orchestra. Maybe it was just another gui***ist who looked like him.

5. Ray Brown is a role model for me.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tommy Tedesco did play on the Tonight Show. He said so in the column he used to Write for Guitar Player.

JimK, Winoman and IamGroot like this.
  7. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I thought for sure that it was him but his wiki page didn't list it as one of his credits. At least I'm not crazy ...yet.

8. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
  9. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    My fave Tedesco story is about him playing the Lawrence Welk show when Neil Levang couldn't do the gig. TT said that the following Monday, his studio compadres were calling him to razz him about it, and he just replied, "Hey, I was on T.V. getting paid, and you were sitting at home watching the Lawrence Welk Show!"

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Mr_Moo, Winoman, hintz and 3 others like this.
  10. I wouldnt doubt that Tommy might have subbed on the Tonight Show in LA, as he was a leading session artist in LA but his irreverant character and appearance probably was in the way of being a regular. He fit in better on Fernwood 2Night.

Bob Bain was the Tonight Show's guitarist from 1972 to 1992 in LA. That wah wah lick at the end was his way of marking on that taping so he could back his royalties. He was a skilled sight reader and predominately a session player prior to The Tonight Show but did some session work afterwords. He was a very polished guy. He passed in 2018 at 93, playing guitar until the end.

In NYC, the Tonight Show guitarist included Tommy Mottola. My dad sneaked me down to the yacht club wharf where Tommy was playing a party and we both sat in the dark listening for hours until we got run off. We were crew on another boat.

Mr_Moo and Winoman like this.
  11. Hilarious! I love the editing, they even edited his arm out! Ha ha, Thanks @Dr. Cheese

ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The audience cutaways had me rollin.

JimK, hintz, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  13. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    That's a riot, Doc. Thanks!

(Wish Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, and Sarah Vaughn were on there with him.)

Winoman and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That was awesome, the audience cutaways were my favorite part for sure. Thanks for sharing Doc!

hintz likes this.
  15. The player's player on upright, and the height of class: Try and find a picture of him where he's NOT wearing a tuxedo. I have a cherished lesson book of his, with pics of hand position for the fingerboard and pizz, and the cuff and sleeve are a tux ! !

I went to NAMM in the early 80's in Anaheim, when it was still by Disneyland. After all the big gun booths like Yamaha or Peavey, I went crawling the back halls and out of the way places, like where you find those guys selling stone picks or suspenders that double as guitar straps, all that weird stuff. I began to hear someone just WAILING on plucked upright, just killin' it. I kept trying to home in on which way it was coming from, and eventually I found it: Polytone had one of those little booths with a folding table between two curtains. No one was there, just a few amps, some catalogs . . . . . . and standing several feet behind the table was Mr. Ray Brown, immaculate as always in a tuxedo in the middle of the day. Had his eyes closed and it was an earful. He paused, opened his eyes, and no doubt saw me staring at him in open-mouthed amazement. He offered that those Polytone guys would be back in a minute, he was just 'goofing around' for a minute. I said that's fine, I'd just heard this wonderful playing and found him. We shook hands, and I went on my way. Not a soul around.

Something I'll never forget.

Mr_Moo, JimK, Bob_Ross and 6 others like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is an awesome story! I would love to experience something like that.:bassist:

17. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Reminded me of this:

Winoman and Mr_Moo like this.
  18. I think Polytone was aimed at Jazz guitarists. Highly regarded by some jazz purists .

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Their MiniBrute III combo amp was designed to do double duty for guitar or bass.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jaco gives a lesson
    :)

Winoman and MarkA like this.