ray brown video ??

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bill macleod, Apr 5, 2002.

1. i read a post on another list about a series of videos featuring ray brown with john clayton, milt hinton and francoise rabbath. i believe it's called "the art of playing the bass"
    this sounds like a great series. does anyone know anything about these tapes? eveything i've found on line is a dead end.
    thanks bill
  2. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    I have two of the Ray Brown Videos: 1. The art of playing the bass featuring Milt Hinton, 2. same, featuring John Clayton. If interested email me at alavakian@yahoo.com
  3. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    I've all!! They're really good for any bassist even Jazz or Classical.

4. where did you get them???? i've had no luck at any of the usual places.
  5. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    I bought from their web site 2 years ago.
  6. apparently the ray brown web-site has been down for quite a while.
    is this the site you mean www.raybrownbass.com
  7. bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Just so as not to start another thread when an old one will do: Last night I saw a film called "Dizzy Gillespie: Jivin' in Bebop" on a DVD from Netflix. I think it's pretty well known among jazz historians. It's a variety show with Gillespie's big band playing 6 or so tunes, and accompanying a variety of great dancers, including Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. But I was surprised to see them do "One Bass Hit" with extensive (but short) soloing by Ray Brown who looks about 20 years old. The camera does close ups on him playing about 4 times, and he is using the old one finger technique in his right hand.
  8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    The Ray Brown videos are now available from Lemur Music. I got all 4. I like the Milt Hinton one the best and then maybe the Performance or the rabbath one. The John Clayton one is nice but I think it's more geared towards beginner players.