Ray Brown

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by FatDaddyBlues, Apr 23, 2001.

1. FatDaddyBlues

Feb 27, 2001
    I saw an awsome show that featured Ray Brown,Stanley Clarke and one other bass player. And that was it!!! 3 Bass players and nothing else. Does anyone where I could find a recording of this?????
  2. The only bass trio I was aware of was Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, and Christian McBride at the ISB convention. They have a recording. Amazon?
    Also, Rufus Reid and Michael Moore did a bass duet for 4-6 Sundays at Zinno's; filled the room every time; they made 2 CD's
  3. Actually, on my Recording of Superbass, it's John Clayton, Ray Brown and Chris Mcbride. There is also, I think, a SuperBass #2, maybe with different personnel? I think the trio Don is refering to is the one that recorded "Splanky" on McBrides' first album, "Gettin' to it".
  4. Hmm, and yet another entry.
    Mine has Ray Brown, John Clayton, and Christian McBride. It recorded at the lovely Scullers about 30 minutes form me. :)
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And they just keep coming - I saw a show here in town years ago featuring Ray, Victor Wooten, and Edgar Meyer (sp? too lazy to look it up....).

It was a fantastic show all around, the kind that people talk about for a long time afterwards. I heard an interview with Ray about a year later, and he was asked about Victor, and said he couldn't put a face to the name. The interviewer, slightly embarrassed, reminded him that he'd played that show with Vic & Edgar, and then Ray says, "Oh, yeah...yeah, I remember him! Little short guy, wears his hat on sideways. Yeah, he plays pretty good."
  6. :eek: Wow! That's one varied lineup! What kind of stuff did they play?
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, it was kind of striking - it was part of a series here in town called the "Lonesome Pine" series, which has everything from Bluegrass to Gospel to World Music to Jazz. Rumor has it that this series was what originally got the Flecktones together: as the story goes, years ago the organizer of this series asked Bela Fleck to put together a "supergroup" to play one of the shows, as a one-time only thing, and that group eventually evolved into the Flecktones.

The 3 Bass show was pretty eclectic...they did a bunch of Edgar's original stuff, some of Victor's original stuff (including one insanely difficult solo piece), and an equal portion of Ray doing his thing. They spent a fair amount of time playing together, including one memorable moment where Ray an Edgar played a Duet on the SAME BASS! It was a night to remember, that's for sure. I've seen the concert on T.V., so I'm sure it's on video somewhere, though I couldn't tell you where to find it.

The next year they had a concert on a Sunday night featuring Nigel Kennedy, who had played the Elgar concerto w/the orchestra on Friday and Saturday nights. Kennedy was joined by Jerry Douglass (sp? the dobro player - I'm not up on my bluegrass), Sam Bush, and Mark O'Connor, among others. This one ended with Kennedy and O'Connor trading 8's on a rhythm tune. Kennedy was getting completely smoked and he knew it, and ended up laughing so hard I thought I saw him in tears near the end of it. When the tune was over the place exploded with applause, and Nigel - always keeping his sense of humor - turns to the audience and with a gesture to Mark (who was the one who had just brought down the house) and says, "Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for NIGEL KENNEDY! I'm Mark O'Connor...thank you, and Good Night!"
  8. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Chris, I've seen the Lonesome Pine special on tv several times-they play it on pbs every now and then. They tore it up! Not too long ago, the Superbass trio of John Clayton, Ray Brown, and Christian Mcbride did a stint at the Blue Note in New York. Edgar Meyer was sitting next to me checking out the band, and when the set was over, the 4 bassists got into a "bass huddle". It was a good example of the bass brotherhood that we bassists have. I can only imagine the line-up at the Milt Hinton tribute in June.