Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray Drummond Trio at Jazz Night Phila. Museum of Art

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Blux, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Knew nothing about him, but I want to know more now that I have heard him play in person. I am doing a search, but does anyone want to add something here?

I mistakenly posted this in BG and got no response.
    Sorry Mod's.

2. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    The trio I saw included Renee Rosnes (piano) and Billy Drummond.

I was intriged that he was a very successful business man before he became a pro. (polictical science major and attended Stanford Business school). He played flawlessly (to my ears) and with incredible speeds. And although bass, piano and drums is not my favorite combination, I was fasinated by the very tightness and seamless interplay of the group.

I loved the live performance. Just seeing this big man play a bass that appeared so small, was like a seeing a giant play a violin (anything special about his bass? I do not know enough about URB's to know if that was a 3/4 size).

The tunes played were not something I would want recorded. Live, they wonderful, but I would not play a recording very often.

The tone was not rich. Masterfully played, just not rich.

His web site said he played with Stan Getz. I have almost all of Getz records and he is not playing on any of them. I would like to hear him playing with Getz and I'll search further for a recording of both.

One reviewer talked about Drummond and the Blues, but I heard nothing I would even hint of Blues in his music. That could be more about the compositions selected than anything I found missing in his playing.

No questions, just wanted to know what anyone had to say about him.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I met Ray Drummond aka the Bulldog a few years ago with the Kenny Barron Trio. He plays an unlabeled French 3/4 bass from the mid 1800's, which looks like a 1/2 bass in his "paws".

I would recommend Vignettes as a good example of his composition style.

I agree with Ed; his sound is not my thing. However, it is very consistent (the same on records as it is live), and instantly recognizable. We actually had somewhat of an arguement when I said that I liked the sound of my bass, so I didn't want to "electrify" its sound. He completely disagreed and likes the use of pickups and amps to achieve an individual sound. He says he can't tell any of the newer players apart who eschew amplification and use mics. I completely disagree; Rodney Whitaker doesn't sound like Reginald Veal who doesn't sound like Scott Colley who doesn't sound like Christian McBride..........anyway, whatever works for him. I have great respect for his playing; he is one of the most advanced bass soloists out there IMHO.

Monte

4. I saw Ray at the Vail Jazz Festival a couple of years ago with Kenny Barron. He was playing a small plywood that actually was a 1/2 size bass. He said that he and Major Holly were using the 1/2 size plywood basses because they were so much easier to transport on an airplane. Unfortunately, the bass sure wasn't up to the caliber of his playing. Even at that, it was a pleasure to hear him.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Fortunately, he was playing a good bass. I'm looking at the pic of me playing it on my office wall right now with him looking on. It was a good sounding bass unplugged, although we have different ideas on setup.

Monte

6. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    one half size bass, yep, that could of been the one he was playing last week in Phila. But at the end he said that all three had to drive home to New Jersey. Whether it was in a van or a Tercel, he was taking it with him. I got to meet his agent, but did not stay long enough to speak with him. I could not see what amp and cab he had because of the tables set-up around the performance area. I did talk with the local sound man and he had a Crown Amp for PA and a Peavey something for the piano. I was trying to get him tell my wife what a great and useful amp the Crown was, which he did.

I will look for Billy Drummond's CD. Thanks EF