Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray (movie) Basses shown

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by guillermo, Mar 21, 2005.

1. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Hi:
    Yesterday I rented "Ray"... and through the movie a bunch of beautifull Double Basses are shown. I noticed that some of them had bridge adjusters on movie scenes that portrayed the late 40's / early 50's....

Just out of curuiosity, when (arround what year) did bridge adjusters became available ?

Guillermo

2. The first ones I remember seeing were the ones done by Paul Toenniges in the late 50's/early 60's.
    The wheels in the movie were all wood.....the first wheels were all metal and had long metal spikes coming out to grip for turning.
    God, i'm old!

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    You want to check out a bizarro looking adjustable bridge?

http://www.wedgebridge.com/basswedge.html

Saw this in the latest ISB mag and thought it was the strangest deal I'd ever seen. Somebody needs to get one tell us about it. Come on, you know you want it!

4. Yeah, I saw this somewhere before Ike. Weird!!
    This guy better watch his ass.....don't tell Arnold. He used the word action.

5. ...He also uses the term Fiddle Bass instead of Bass Fiddle.
    This guy funny looking bridges makes.

R2

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I think in the movie they were also using steel strings. Of COURSE I'd be staring at the historical accuracy of the movie scenes....lol

7. Man, if you're gonna get so upset about some adjusters, how do you feel about that one cat playing the Shen?
    (kidding)

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Is this a movie about Ray Brown?.. When was it made?.. Who is in it?.. Where can I buy it?..... Where have I been??

9. Hehe, yea, if there was a movie about Ray Brown, I would see it in a hearbeat. I believe they are talking about the movie titled, "Ray," after the blind pianist, Ray Charles.