Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray Riendeau...a slap monster.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass_me, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    Have anyone seen him play live? I would like that. :bassist:

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    last time I checked his website was gone, what is the man doing these days? Can I buy his CDs somewhere :confused:

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I saw him at one of the last BassDay NYC shows. I think it was the one at the American Indian Museum right after 9/11. Yep, he is a monster of slap.

4. I saw him play here in Indiana when he was on tour with Bobby Rock and Neil Zaza.. My personal opinion, he was the star of the show.. I've heard many people do what Rock and Zaza do but Ray had some chops.. Last I heard he was playing with Rob Halford but I dont know if thats still going on.

5. andyroo

andyroo

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Oversoul: I found a place that you can buy Arrhythmia and Groove Therapy at least, Enlightenment and All Funked Up seem to be unavailable though. It's on Joe Morris' site (the drummer on Groove Therapy and Arrhythmia, a monster player himself) anyway, here's a link to it:

http://joemorris.net/disco.html

Oh yeah, and oversoul when's that Conklin due?

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    hey thx a lot :) No word on the Conklin tough, I'm guessing around September but who knows, keep an eye on "basses" I hope to get some updates soon tough :cool:

7. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Ray played on one of Spastic Ink's songs, but it wasn't slap. Still cool though. There's an excellent Michael Manring solo on the same song.

8. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I took lessons from Ray years ago. He can definately slap with the best of them. I saw him with Halford when it was Two. His website is gone and he's not with Halford anymore - but I don't know why. He's still got business cards for lessons at the bass place, you could probably find anything you need about him there. You could probably even get in touch with the man himself.

http://www.thebassplace.com/index.shtml

9. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    To recieve lessons from Ray must be like heaven. :bassist: How was he as a human?

10. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Cool guy. It's been a decade, but I liked him. Got off the tour bus to talk to me after the Two show. Always let me play his basses, even though they were expensive and I was a newbie.

Knows his stuff when it comes to bass. He's known as a slap crazy guy, but he can play anything. He's on a few Gary Hoey live albums I think, Two, Halford, Machines of Loving Grace, some commericals and movie soundtracks ("meet the deedles" springs to mind), in addition to his solo stuff. He had a few bass instruction books/ sight reading books too, but I believe they were self published. They might still have those at the bass place.

Probably the coolest memory was when he borrowed all of my Ozzy cd's because he had been invited to try out for Zakk Wylde's tour, which I guess was with Black Label Society, but I don't recall hearing the BLS name. He got that gig I'm pretty sure, but turned it down because he wanted to do an album with Halford rather than a tour with Zakk, or something like that. "An album is forever" - I remember him saying that.

I also remember him talking about this crazy new bass that allowed him to eq each string, which looking back I suppose was the Lightwave.... never put that together until years later....

I always felt bad because I pretty much just stopped taking lessons, didn't really officially tell him or anything. I regard that as flakey today, but then I was a 17 or 18 year old kid with not much of a clue. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose. I owe him a beer for that....

11. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    Yes you must give the man a beer, if you see him again. Thanks for the story, you are a lucky guy.
    Do you know if it is possible to get any video or dvd with Mr.Ray?

12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm going to start lessons with Ray Riendeau in the next few weeks myself! I'm not much interested in slap, but from what I've heard about his well-roundedness, I'm anxious to start bouncing questions off of him.

13. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    well living MANY miles from Ray´s resort, I am not going to take lessons with him. But how much does he take per hour?