Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Ray truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by supermetroid, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Don't laugh. This sounds like an idiotic question, especially considering the many years I've been playing bass, but I can't figure out which way to turn the truss rod to lower the action on the neck of my 'Ray. With the bass held as if being played, do I turn upward or downward?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The truss rod is not an action adjustment. It is niether meant to lower or raise the string height.

The bridge height adjusters are for raising and lowering action. The bridge height adjusters and the truss rod adjustments may interact to a degree.

Pkr2

3. Ya, i'm with pkr2, the truss rod is to straighten out the neck, according to the guage of strings you use, not to lower or raise the strings,
    the truss rod corrects the bow of the neck, the bridge saddles deal with string action

4. If the neck has a significant enough bow to it, it affects the action. Trust me on this; I've lowered the saddles as far as they'll go without wobbling around, and the strings are still too far off the frets. Therefore, I wanted to adjust the relief.

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yes, but very important: The neck needs a bit of time to set in. I adjusted the 'Ray I have and it played sweet. Next day, it was backbowed. A little goes a long way with those loveable basses.

6. ya, i'm not saying that the neck being whacked out doesn't affect the action, but the neck should be straight before you start ajusting the saddles, unless you like playing with a bowed neck

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I agree with that!

8. So are we in agreement that the truss rod should be turned downward to eliminate a downward bow in the neck?

9. On a right-handed 'Ray, yes. :)

10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, yeah.