1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ray35 faint distorted output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaysbass2002, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I just picked up a Sterling Ray35 in very nice condition. It sat for the last 4 years from what the guy said. I cleaned it up, oiled fretboard, new strings, plugged it in an nothing. Just a faint fuzz sound. Same with battery out. I pulled out the output jack and it was rusted and corroded? I mean 6 Qtips with contact cleaner covered in gunk. Put it back together and same. Think maybe corrosion got into the layers on the jack and is not making contact?

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Tried a new battery?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

?

4. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    new battery, different cable.

5. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I taped off the fretboard and cleaned the frets, lemon oiled the rosewood 4 applications, installed new battery. Then the let down. Ordered a new switchcraft jack. Active not working so hoping it's just the jack. I know the guy I purchased it from. He has lots of gear and this bass just sat unused. I will post pictures tomorrow of the carnage. Thanks.

6. jaysbass2002

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    20170119_094555. Brought it to my tech. Used a volt meter and no power was getting to the jack. Turned out to be a bad battery plug. Black lead feel off with just a tug. It was corroded from the battery being left in. Replaced it and now all is good.