1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ray4 Sub Machine Heads

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dustin Owens, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Looks like I have a chance to buy a used Ray4 Sub for $75. The issue with the bass being that a couple machine heads have snapped off. I may drive out to check this bass tomorrow to check for other damage before buying, but first want to line up some replacement machine heads.

Can anyone give me a lead on where to find some compatible machine heads for cheap ( sub 50 bucks if possible ). I just want to make sure if I buy some from warmouth or similar that they will fit.

Anyone here know for sure what replacement tuners will fit?

16649412_10154363466013339_4018005251039219720_n. 16806836_10154363466018339_1556442129816944190_n. 16901546_10154364280838339_1376816367_n.

2. Wow, I am just now noticing the mcgyvered bridge screws.. LOL - $75 is still probably a pretty good deal, but I think I may pass on this one. Still interested in the answer to this question though if anyone has a sec.

3. The more I look at this, that bridge and body really look like it is from a USA SUB, but the neck is Indonesian. The guy claims that he bought it brand new and made no mods to it.. but im not so sure those screws in the E and A bridge are original, lol

4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  6. Thanks guys, I ended up getting the bass, so this info will come in very handy when finding a replacement tuner peg x2!

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    $75 for the bass--not the tuners! Let us know how it turns out.

8. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Hmmm. Give them a few wraps of electrical tape if they need to be snugged up. I suppose you could also plug and re-drill the holes, but that seems like overkill.

9. Ohh woops, I removed my last post without realizing someone had responded, sorry about that. I'll give that a try. At first I thought maybe I was sent the wrong machine heads, but they do measure 1/2. they wiggle around in the hole significantly.

10. I got it figured out, it is loose inside but the washer is ( barely ) large enough to hold it tight in place on the face side. Doesn't fit snug like the old one did with the sheith.

fermata likes this.
  11. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    IF this is a bass you'd like to have and use once these issues are resolved, I'd do it: a $75 buy-in is peanuts, PROVIDED there's no truss rod, electronic, or big cosmetic issues. I'd get a set of all 4 replacement saddles, and replacement keys can be reasonable as long as you steer clear of brand name and stick with generic imports, much like originally fitted.

I'd really check that head, though. It's not that easy to snap those ears off, and be sure there's seems to be no cracks, etc, around the mounting holes or elsewhere.

A good source for these kinds of parts I've used is

Guitar Parts Factory - Bass Parts

I've no relationship with them other than using them for a Squier tweak I'm doing.

12. Installation successful! You can see on the front how the washers are just BARELY big enough to cover the hole. In some spots you can see the hole. Might have to get bigger washers, but this works for now. It's probably a good pound lighter with all them missing screws and screw holes! heh

1. 2.

Badwater likes this.
  13. thanks, I've already bought and installed the parts. I got a cheap bridge and removed the saddles to put on this and all is well. I have decided to take this and set it up with BEAD guage strings from a 5 stringer and see if I can get it set up well enough to use like that.

14. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah, I looked at my bathroom scale in disbelief when the bass lost a pound with new Ultralights! It certainly makes the bass much more comfortable. It's very nicely balanced now.
    IMG_0913.JPG

Dustin Owens likes this.
  15. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Nice work. Looks like that bass is coming together well.

16. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Very nice! How is the bass working out for you?

17. You know, I got it all put together and was pleased with the outcome, then stored it away down stairs and completely forgot about this bass until you just now mentioned it!

It did turn out nice though. I mostly play my MIM 50's Laquer Re-Issue now and the others just sit unfortunately.

SBMM likes this.