Ray5 + Aguilar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I'm thinking of replacing my stock preamp in my '98 Stingray 5 with an Aguilar OBP3. Anyone done this? I think it would sound killer!
  2. I'd leave it alone. if you are unhappy with the sound you might just think about getting a different bass.
  3. when i had a ray5 i thought about getting the alnico musicman replacement pickups from seymour duncan along with their preamp. i ended up selling the bass though. go for it, you only live once!
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Nope haven't done it. But I did swap the stock pup + pre with the SD Alnico MM pup and MM preamp. The difference was incredible - a much warmer sound on the low end, still that cutting Ray sound but not as harsh.
  5. I'd do it. You can always switch back.

And whichever one you go with, you can always sell the other one to me for $10 or $20 :0)

Stay Low,

6. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Well, since you mentioned it, I did this to mine a couple of weeks ago. SD MM5 Alnico pickup and OBP3.

It sounds amazing! The highs are really clear, the lows are nice and tight. The thing still sounds like a Stingray, just a little more modern. I did an active/passive switch on mine and with the OBP3 set flat, it sounds almost identical to the passive mode. I had a tough time with the output on my SR5, but once I swapped out the pre, it came to life.

Hope this helps.
  7. i would agree with this. the stingray 5's i've played with this mod sound very nice. that's what almost made me do it!
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm deciding right now about installing the SD alnico MM5 pup and preamp (or possibly an Aguilar OBP-3) in my Ray5, and have a couple follow-up questions for you folks who've done this:

SoyBase: what made you decide to use the Aguilar instead of the SD pre? And... by any chance did you ever compare the sound of the bass with both pre's (and with the SD Alnico pup) in it?

In general, I have a *slight* preference for using the pre of the pup manufacturer (since the pre is "voiced" with the pup in mind, and vice-versa)... though I have an OBP-1 in my UltraJazz-equipped J-bass and love it. That said, apparently the OBP-3 pre would allow some more flexibility in terms of electronics. Specifically (i} it'd be easier to incorporate a passive tone control which I'd like to also install, and (ii) I could use a passive volume control which could be bypassed when not-needed. But... I'm mainly wondering about the tonal differences between the OBP-3 and SD pre.

Soybase & David Wilson: Did you go with 1 or 2 batteries? And... how close to the sound of a Ray4 is the resultant sound (the Ray4 and Ray5 sound very different to me, which I attribute to the Ray 4's alnico pups vs. the Ray5's ceramic pups)... any thoughts?
  9. Hi all,

Just wondering how things turned out... I am planning to swap the stock preamp with the OBP-3 because the stock pre is so VERY noisy it almost kills me!! I hope it's the preamp though..

10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Before I switched back to the stock electronics(only because I thought my son was going to buy the bass from me + it hardly ever gets used anymore)I did have the op3 (18volt) installed with a Bartolini MMC5 with an Active/Passive switch (a god send IMO)and sweepable mids which at the time gave me some tones that I could deal with but later I got a Alnico EB pup to replace the Bart" (which BTW wasn't that bad)and this sounded even better.The Op3 gives the SR5 more versatile/flexable tones than what it currently has,However,if you are looking to get a so call J-tone forget it !Ain't gonna happen.But you will get better tones.