Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ray's Jazz Record Shop (Re) Opens in Foyles Bookshop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

One of the saddest recent developments in London has been the disappearance of the independent small record shops and especially the Jazz shops in Soho. :(

So it was really nice to visit "Rays" in its new home recently - on the first floor of Foyles bookshop in Charing Cross Road - very near Tottenham court Road tube station.

Rays was one of the most popular and last to be forced to close by impossibly high rents. It was a place for true afficionados and was a stop-off for many visting US Jazz musicians.

So now it is at the front of the first floor at Foyles and combined with the coffee shop and a great view across the road to Denmark Street. So you can sit and have a coffee, listen to some great Jazz and look across to Tin Pan Alley and all the music shops!

I would recommend a visit to everyone interested in music and hopefully it will be popular enough to prosper and keep a place for Jazz fans in central London.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - I don't know if I'm too late but the Yellowjackets - Jimmy Haslip etc - are visiting Rays to sign CDs during their UK tour?