1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RB Raises his hand and Asks. "Bass Amp Endorsements"????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R Briere, Oct 23, 2013.

1. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I have a question. I've Seen Several Members here that have, let's say, "Ajax Amp Endorser" under their Name. Would Anyone be Kind Enough to Explain that Term and, if at all Possible, Come out of the Closet and tell us how much LESS You pay for Your Gear than the Average Schmuck Like Me? Many Thanks....and No Fibbing. If you DO Fib, the Scale Length on Your Bass Will Grow. :)

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I am in no way an endorser or pro musician but I know a guy that endorses some sort of amp. He gets them at cost so saves whatever markup there usually is. Still not cheap but much cheaper than you or I would pay. He would be considered a "low level endorser" I believe.

3. +1 to the above. Basically two levels of 'endorsers' (i.e., players who dig the gear enough to become associated with a brand, and brands who think the player is known enough to provide advertising and increase sales for the brand, either locally or nationally).

The most common level is basically guys who are known locally, or have regional type gigs (i.e., seen by a lot of players). They typically get gear for 'cost' (i.e., around 50% off retail). It costs the company nothing (there is no further support, etc.), and it provides a bit of free advertising for the brand, and makes the player feel important and saves him/her a bit of money. Very common, and has nothing to do with 'how good/famous you are'. etc. (i.e., guys who post a lot on Talkbass are often offered 'endorsement' deals like this:p).

The true, high level endorsements are rare, and involve 'famous' players typically getting their gear for free, and more importantly, being supported on the road by the company (i.e., supplying backline at various venues, etc.) At the highest levels, money can actually change hands if the artist appears in formal advertising or holds clinics sponsored by the brand. Very rare.

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    How much do you think Flea pays for his amps?

How much does a guy who just got endorsed by GK pay for his or her amps?

Boxers or briefs?

...depends!

5. R Briere

Jonny.......With Total Respect, a Smile on my Face and a Song in My Heart....Flea doesn't Post here.....but He DOES Do a Lot of Ads for GK, Clinics, etc......so HIS Relationship with GK is Mutually Beneficial.

A Guy Who Plays with "Herbert Sherbet and the Creamers" can SAY he's an Endorser....but get's VERY Little Discount and NO Actual "Support". It Simply LOOKS good on his Profile....Would that be Correct? :)

Btw.....How Did you Know About my Depends??? Is my Darn Web Cam on Again??? Where's my Bathrobe!!??

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    It also applies to other stuff besides gear. For example, a band I was with had a local endoresement for a certain brand of beer. In exchange for hanging a banner of the beer at some of our public shows, we all got a case of beer for free. Not as glamorus as getting a GK amp at cost, but, for awhile, my fridge was stocked !

7. Not quite. If you are an endorser of a product (i.e., get something of value from the manufacturer), you are REQUIRED to put this in your profile. This is to let other TBers who are reading your posts/comments know that you are acting as an 'informal ambassador' for that brand, and possibly/likley not giving completely 'unbiased' feedback, etc. In other words, it allows TBers to filter the comments of endorsers if they choose.

8. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    This is my kind of endorsement.........Hell if my fridge is stocked I would even paint their logo on my cab.:p

9. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I believe Gk posted here that they dont give away amps to anyone. Discounted maybe. Flea was flying the Acoustic banner for a bit but ended up right back with GK.

10. R Briere

J.......That gave me a Thought......I'm Emailing "Hostess" right now to Arrange an Endorsement with "Twinkies"!!!! I LOVE Those Suckers and Keep them Warming atop my Amplifier at ALL Times....Right Next to my Dr. Pepper!!!!

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    And sometimes, by doing enough price shopping and negotiating, even a nobody like me can get retail pricing that's as good as someone with an endorsement deal.

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Good idea ! Plus, they have a shelf life of 1,000 years, so they will never go stale ! :D

13. Depends should not be in the same post as the rest!!! :rollno:

14. R Briere

"Oh Paullllllllllllllllllll"

My Mom Used to say that a lot......when she forgot which of her Offspring She was Speaking to. :)

15. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    Ken probably knows best and speaks truth to the best of my knowledge. I was offered (and declined) an endorsement deal for a cab company. It would have netted me a pretty significant discount on the cabs, however they are simply not what I use - good cabs, but I didn't feel right endorsing something I wasn't going to use. Besides, I'm a nobody, I don't even know if I could call myself a medium sized fish in a small pond.

On the other hand, a good friend of mine was endorsed by Modulus back in the 90s and his bass cost him well under half retail. He was also endorsed by D'Addario strings and did get boxes full of free strings, so I really think it just DEPENDS ;)

16. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I get all shakes and drinks 1/2 price between 2pm and 4pm on weekdays. Except red bull.

Steak+n+Shake.

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I know it's just semantics, but please....
    To say so-and-so is "endorsed" by such-and-such company makes no sense. It's the other way around.

And if you look up the defintion of "endorse" you'll see that it's possible for someone to endorse a product without getting anything in return.

18. Fixed for ya WC. :D

19. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Thanks, Paul.

20. R Briere

Wonderful Responses......and yet None from Endorsers. :) I Hope You Guys Will Chime in as well. Why did I ask the Question? Because so many people think that FREE GEAR is handed out like Lemonade. Granted, there might be a few Companies that Give Stuff Away (Usually Strings, etc., ) but there's one Common Marketing LAW that applies to Everything in Life........"People Want What they Can't Have"........and "Free Offers NO Value"....except to those Who actually BELIEVE what the Woman with the foot-long Green Fingernails on HSN is offering....but you MUST Call in the Next 10 Minutes~!!!!

Attached Files: